Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 5"7' with a short lower body. My inseam is around 29.5. Is 16.5 too big? I have some room between my crotch and tob tube but not too much. I was reading a post that somone was 5"5 riding a 16.5 but I dont know if his height was a typo.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm 5' 6 and I ride a 16.5. I can stand flat footed with the bike between my legs. The smallest the nrs comes in is a 16.5.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you feet the clearance is adequate?

I compared a 17" hardtail xtc2 against the 16.5"nrs2 and the xtc2 had definitely more clearance

·
[paste title here]
515 Posts
Im 5'6" and I ride a 16.5 NRS. But because of my short legs I have very little stand over clearance. But the bike fits fine for me.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
abmw said:
I am 5"7' with a short lower body. My inseam is around 29.5. Is 16.5 too big? I have some room between my crotch and tob tube but not too much. I was reading a post that somone was 5"5 riding a 16.5 but I dont know if his height was a typo.
im 5'7"-5'8" and the 16.5 frame fits me well. as long as you have an inch or two (at least) of clearance it should be fine.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
5'9" would be the max..

I'm 5' 9" and I fell right between the 16.5 and 18 (next size up I think 18 or 18.5). I picked the 16.5 because I've always err on the low side for frame sizes. Just more "flickable" on the single track! But I wouldn't go taller than 5' 9" for the small frame.

REEK

·
Niner EMD
100 Posts
I am a 5'8" XC rider and racer and I ride the 18.5" NRS. I find that it is perfect size for me. I previously owned a Trek 16.5" and remarkably the measurements of both bikes are very similar. The NRS has a weird sizing situation with the low TT/ST junction. In other words, the TT and ST junction is about where it was on my trek 16.5"!!! My girlfriend is almost the same height as I am. She rides a Gary Fisher Tass with a size of 17.5". Now HER top tube is like 1.5 inches LONGER than my 18.5" Giant NRS. (Its Gary Fisher's Genesis Geometry).
Long story short I think the NRS is sized smaller than the number says. My 18.5" NRS is absolutely tailor fit for me at 5"8. Smaller bikes are more maneuverable and larger, longer bikes are more stable at speed.

·
I ride, therefore I am.
232 Posts
5' 7" on a 16.5" NRS1

I don't have the longest legs in town, but they aren't stumps either. The 16.5" works really well for me. I like a bike to handle well in the tight single track, and I'm happy with the 16.5. I replaced the stock stem to a Thomson stem and had to flip it upside down without spacers to get the bars low enough for my preferred position.

·
giddyup!
68 Posts
No more endos

abmw said:
I am 5"7' with a short lower body. My inseam is around 29.5. Is 16.5 too big?
That describes me exactly. Add to the equation longer than usual arms - my arm span is 5'9". I ride an 18.5" 2004.0 NRS-2. My inseam might be a little shorter than yours, and I still have sufficient clearance. The longer top tube gives me the length I need for my relatively long torso and long arms. I'm SO glad to be on a bike that fits!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts