Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2004 Giant NRS2 last week. For the past couple of days I was jumping 4ft. dirt jumps in my back yard. Would it be better off for me to return the nrs2 to my bikeshop and see if I can pay $300 more to get the Giant VT3? The VT looks like it has better suspension and I think that it would suit me better for the kind of riding I do.

Thanks for helping.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Vt

alsf4 said:
I just bought a 2004 Giant NRS2 last week. For the past couple of days I was jumping 4ft. dirt jumps in my back yard. Would it be better off for me to return the nrs2 to my bikeshop and see if I can pay $300 more to get the Giant VT3? The VT looks like it has better suspension and I think that it would suit me better for the kind of riding I do.

Thanks for helping.
The NRS is an XC race bike. IT was not meant to catch a lot of air. The VT is a much sturdier design that would likely feel a lot better for jumps and drops. Return the NRS if you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rkj__ said:
The NRS is an XC race bike. IT was not meant to catch a lot of air. The VT is a much sturdier design that would likely feel a lot better for jumps and drops. Return the NRS if you can.
If my bike shop doesnt let me return it (because its been used) should I just buy a new fork with 120 mm travel for the NRS2?

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Face it... you got the wrong bike..:(

Go back to your LBS. Go in the door on your stomach, and don't stop crawling and grovelling until they agree to take the NRS back and replace it with the VT-3.

You may have to pay them additional fees in the form of large amounts of cash and the promise of your first-born son, but do it !!

If you don't....... all you will succeed in doing is breaking the NRS frame and being unhappy with your bike.

Thoroughly clean and polish the NRS so that it looks pristine. Don't take it back dirty and expect a good result.

Practice your pleading and grovelling skills on the way to the LBS, so you have it down pat.. :)

Good luck,

R.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah Im in the same sitiuation, I do the same stuff that you do jumps drops since i weight only 130 I'll just keep riding the NRS until she breaks then send it back to giant and get a new warranty frame. :D i hope so at least
-Sam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NRSDude said:
Yeah Im in the same sitiuation, I do the same stuff that you do jumps drops since i weight only 130 I'll just keep riding the NRS until she breaks then send it back to giant and get a new warranty frame. :D i hope so at least
-Sam
Would it be possible to have the same fork as the VT3 but on my NRS2? And how much do you think that it would cost?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
alsf4 said:
Would it be possible to have the same fork as the VT3 but on my NRS2? And how much do you think that it would cost?
The fork isn't the problem; the frame is. With a 120 it'll climb and handle poorly, and you'll still break the frame doing what you've been doing.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
NRSDude said:
-Sam
Sorry Dude, but that's stealing and we all have to pay for the broken frames buddies like you send in for warranty and make manufacturers less interested in MTB. Who would get into the bussiness if every frame has to be overbuilt or you have to increase your productions costs to take for the losses caused by warrantied frames.

No surprise big brands are coming back to road bikes. Less technology, less moving parts and plain less headaches than MTB bikes. Ever heard of a roadie breaking a frame in order to warranty it??? I guess not.

If you're honest enough, you'll break your frame and buy one on your own 'cause you screwed up your own decision. Please don't make others to pay for it.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Are you sure

VT no 1 2 or 3 said:
The VT can really only handle about 3ft drops / jumps. To do more you should go to the AC. If you keep jumping the NRS the frame will fail- the NRS was made for XC racing not jumping.
Most people suggest that many XC bikes (3-4 inch travel) can handle 3' drops, Even my Rainier can do a 3 footer. I think many VT users are going a little bigger than 3'. Come on, the bike has 5.7 inches of travel :confused:

You are right though that the AC is more jump capable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a strong feeling that my LBS wont let me return the bike. It already has several scratches. What kind of riding should I be doing with the nrs2? Does XC riding refer to technical mtb trails or something else?

And is it okay to go over at least 2/3 foot jumps as suppose to the 4/5 ft that i've been jumping?.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Does refer to cover a long distance thru uh, cross country. Take a long trail with lots of climbing and lots of pedaling. The NRS will feel at home and you'll discover another face of MTB you didn't know. It's exiting how fast you can go on a NRS and the handling skills required to do so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like you have a decision to make and it totally depends on your level of experience and what style of riding you're in to. From your previous posts it sounds like catching big air is high on the list, if so the NRS will fold, the frame wasn't designed for that role.. sorry :( . No matter how many upgrades you make, it just can't do a job it was not designed for, 'not beefy enough'.

If you want to do some XC (Cross Country) the NRS is a nice bike that will serve you really well and give you a lot-o-fun.

If what you want is big air then the AC, if it's somewhere in between, then the VT.

The bike store probably won't give you full credit for what is now a used bike, but that's not necessarily the end of the line. If you decide the NRS is just not for you, there are still options;-

A trade-in on another bike with the same dealer, (do your homework and make an informed choice). Be honest and say the NRS is not the right bike for you, act regretful (don't mention the jumps 'not that honest' lol, and clean it like you mean it).

Sell the bike to a friend, family, via classifieds or e..bay and trade-up.

... Or change your style of riding to match what the NRS can deliver

Good luck with whatever you decide.. :)

·
I live to bike
2,428 Posts
worth a shot

Clean it up and return the NRS. It's worth a shot that they'll be willing to return it. After all, I assume they asked you what kind of riding you would be doing with it, and when you mentioned 4-5 foot drops, they should have steered you to the VT or even the AC. That is, unless you didn't realize you'd be going so big when you bought the bike. The VT 3 should be fine what for the riding you're describing--it can handle 4-5 foot drops. I've done 3-4 footers with my Warp DS 3 on occasion, and although the fork could use an upgrade for such jumping, the 5 inches in the rear is plenty enough, so the almost 6 inches in the rear and 5 inches in the front on the VT should handle such drops capably.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help.

Do you guys know of any upgrades that are worth getting for the nrs2 (04)?
I was thinking of tubless tires or maybee a 100 mm fork.

I decided that im going to keep my nrs2 and i'll eventually get the vt3 in a year or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to hear you decided on keeping the NRS, I'm sure you made the right choice :D .

Since you've only had the bike for just over a week I'd personally hold fire on major upgrades for a while. You're still in that getting to know each other period, so take it easy and explore what the NRS already has to offer, its a pretty capable XC rig out of the box.

But if you're really itching to spend money in a hurry then tyres, (or tires) is a good place to begin. I'm not a huge fan of tubless myself, seems like a lot of hassle, cost and complication for little, if any return. I'd concentrate on tread pattern a nice do it all tyre is the pan...aracer fire xc 2.1, but tyre selection depends on your local terrain and again riding style, let us know more and maybe we can give some more pointed advice.

Of course you could go with some personal upgrades provided you don't already have them... like a camel..back hydration system, multitool and a bunch if power bars to keep you in the saddle for longer :)

Hit those trails and have some fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts