Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 04 NRS1. There are a lot of steel screws on the bike that could be replaced by aluminum ones for a substantial weight savings(For example: brake and shifter clamp screws(4), stem clamp screws(4), caliper mount screws(4), seatpost clamp screw, and possibly some more I am forgetting).

Are there any companies out there that make aluminum screw replacement kits for bicycles? If not, I think this would be a cool idea that someone will pick up one day. I have had trouble finding the right parts at the local hardware stores.

Has anyone done any of this on their own? It seems like a pretty cheap way to save some weight.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
youngda9 said:
I have an 04 NRS1. There are a lot of steel screws on the bike that could be replaced by aluminum ones for a substantial weight savings(For example: brake and shifter clamp screws(4), stem clamp screws(4), caliper mount screws(4), seatpost clamp screw, and possibly some more I am forgetting).

Are there any companies out there that make aluminum screw replacement kits for bicycles? If not, I think this would be a cool idea that someone will pick up one day. I have had trouble finding the right parts at the local hardware stores.

Has anyone done any of this on their own? It seems like a pretty cheap way to save some weight.
Actually aluminum is not the best material for this application (sheer strenght is rather low).... that is why there are some Titanium hardware kits instead of the steel ones. Same reason why there are not Carbon fiber fasteners.

Go Ti for this one.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.