Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

561 - 578 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
2004 NRS Air (small 16.5). Great bike, now looking for a new home

The NRS has been a fun bike (my first FS) but I just got a Trance 27.5 1 and now need to find a home for the NRS. I've added several upgrades during the 4 years that I've owned it (SLX crankset, Thomson stem and seatpost, Hope Pro 2 Evo/Stans Crest wheelset). The bike was in primo shape when I bought it and still looks and rides great. Any thought on it's value?
full right reduced.jpg left rear reduced.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I've got my hands on an old NRS frame and i want to build myself a FS. It's the one with cabling on top of the top tube instead of below. I've been searching for info about the build and model but no luck. Does anyone know anything about it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
early NRS -XtC?

Hi,
I've got my hands on an old NRS frame and i want to build myself a FS. It's the one with cabling on top of the top tube instead of below. I've been searching for info about the build and model but no luck. Does anyone know anything about it?
just a early design before refinement? 1999 Giant XtC DS1 - BikePedia don't see too many-congrats on the find.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Everything seem to fit but mine got a differrent back wheel mounting part. But i've found some more info about these on a german giant community forum.

XTC DS 1

Rahmen: Alcoa CU-92 mit integr. Steuersatz
Gabel: Rock Shox SID XC
Dämpfer: Rock Shox SID adjustable
Schaltung (vorne / hinten): Shimano LX / XT
Bremsen (vorne / hinten): MPH I
Laufräder (Naben / Felgen / Reifen): Formula / Mavic X 223 Disc / Michelin Wildgripper Comp
ehem. VK: 3.999,- DM
Gewicht: 12,4 kg (ohne Gewähr)

XTC DS 2

Rahmen: Alcoa CU-92 mit integr. Steuersatz
Gabel: Rock Shox Judy XC
Dämpfer: Rock Shox SID
Schaltung (vorne / hinten): SRAM ESP 7.0
Bremsen (vorne / hinten): MPH I
Laufräder (Naben / Felgen / Reifen): Formula / Rigida Taurus Disc / Michelin Wildgripper Comp
ehem. VK: 3.199,- DM
Gewicht: 12,6 kg (ohne Gewähr)

XTC DS 3

Rahmen: Aluxx
Gabel: SR Suntour MG 91
Dämpfer: Rock Shox SID
Schaltung (vorne / hinten): SRAM ESP 7.0
Bremsen (vorne / hinten): Formula MD 1
Laufräder (Naben / Felgen / Reifen): Formula / Rigida ZAC 19 / Michelin Wildgripper
ehem. VK: 2.499,- DM
Gewicht: 13,4 kg (ohne Gewähr)

The frames all look the same (?)

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Sorry for the old bump!!! But 10 years later I will be back in an NRS soon :)

Recently got back into the hobby (quickly becoming once again a lifestyle). My 2004 NRS-3 was stolen and I bought a 2004 XTC-1. The XTC-1 is an extremely light and nimble bike but I have some back issues and want the rear suspension

I've just ordered a 2004 NRS-2 frame I will be building up, got a SID fork bookmarked to buy once I get the frame in. I know the newer ones are lighter and probably infinitely better, but for now I want to stick with what I know. Maybe my next rig will be an Anthem 29" (funny, when I left the scene, 29"s were just getting popular and were kind of a niche, now ... it seems 26"s are the niche!)

Curious, is there still "NRS love" out there or has most of the community moved onto the newer models?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Curious, is there still "NRS love" out there or has most of the community moved onto the newer models?
I'm still riding my 2005 NRS Air. Every so often I think I might be missing out on something and I should upgrade to an Anthem or Trance or something, then I ride the Oaks single track, (classic trail in the Blue Mountains, Sydney), and the bike just feels right. It rides itself and takes me along for the ride. It's such a classic bike. I gave it a bit of love late last year and replaced chain rings, cassette and chain and it's running very nice. Think I'll ride it till it dies !!

·
Registered
448 Posts
change for change sake?

if it works don't fix it; every year manufacturers come up with a new gimmick for the sake of PROFIT.you can't say fox,rock shox,etc. don't hold back innovations till the next calender year when they could just as well do a midyear upgrade for the sake of $$$.I too will keep the NRS as the design works-why change it? no 29'R here.

Attachments

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,422 Posts
<snip>

Going to rebuild my 2001 XtC Team for my oldest kid. I've moved on to a 2010 Reign - I gotta say... I wouldn't trade back - I love all the squishy-plush travel on my Reign.

·
Specialized Fatboy
189 Posts
I still have my NRS1, but... I've recently moved on to a fatbike and haven't looked back. My NRS1 is looking for a new loving owner. It's been slim.

00606_8l_MKmu_Wfm3t_600x450.jpg

·
Living the High Life
4,543 Posts
Going to rebuild my 2001 XtC Team for my oldest kid. I've moved on to a 2010 Reign - I gotta say... I wouldn't trade back - I love all the squishy-plush travel on my Reign.
Wholly crap. I just realized you are in one of my old school subscribed threads...because I owned a 2004 NRS.

Power to the bacon.

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
I rode my 2003 NRS through 2013 -- I was posting #8 on this thread ;-)

I picked up a 2013 Spec SJ 29'er last summer. While I love the SJ's 5.5" travel and do not miss the 'brake jack' on the NRS, the NRS was more nimble and lighter. I gave the NRS to a good friend who originally rekindled my interest in MTB'ing, so the NRS lives.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm still rockin' my 2004 NRSx (NRS3 badge on the frame but not even the rear shock is OEM). Since my post in 2006 the bike has changed quite a lot but it still works. At the start of this season I was thinking about getting a new bike, looking at the new Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 750, but after a few rides on the NRS I thought "Meh, I'll wait until winter sales come up" haha... I do need to upgrade though, as I can't get seals for the Fox Float AVA shock anymore, so it's only a matter of time before I put a rod in its place and have a hard tail. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
bike1.jpg

Bought a "new" NRS today to add to the two already in the family !! Its strange though. For a 12 year old bike it looks like its never been ridden. It looks brand new.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Slightly OT but what FD can you folks recommend for The NRS-3 frame just like the one pictured above, I believe mine is an 04? I've been running XTR bottom swing all these years but never been fully happy with it, finally something strange happened and it completely refuses to drop the chain to the smallest ring no matter what I tried. I had some Sram X7s bottom swings in my parts bin but couldn't get the outer cage plate to clear the largest chainring in the highest position I could mount it on the seat tube due to the rear shock bracket getting in the way. Ended up yanking a Sram X7 top swing from my kid's bike, it mostly works but it sits high with a large gap between the outer plate the largest chainring, also due to it sitting high there's some chain rub over the horizontal cage piece in the back when in the smallest ring in the front and middle of the cassette and smaller cogs in the back, also there's some rub against the rivet in the back of the cage when in the lowest gear (front and back).

·
Hal0ofWINT3R
6 Posts
My Giant NRS Re-Build. I know, I'm still running 1x9 too, will be upgrading to 1x11 or 1x12 soon. And yes, I need to trim my brake hoses. Still rides strong though!

2002 Giant XTC Team Frame
Fox Van RC Rear Shock 6.5x1.5
...Custom Tuned by Push Industries
Manitou Minute Comp TS Air 120mm Tapered 15x100
Hope Headset ZS44-28.6 Top | EC44-40 Bottom
Random Stem 31.8 x 35mm length
Hope Head Doctor
Titec Hellbent Riser Bar 31.8
ODI Ruffian Grips w/Lock-on Clamps
Hope Grip Doctor
Hope Seatpost Binder
Titec Hellbent Duke Expert Post 30.9
Selle Italia Nitrox Saddle
Hope 68/73 Bottom Bracket
e13 ISCG-05 Adapter
Hope Slick Chain Guide ISCG-05
Race Face Deus XC Crankset X-Type
Wolf Tooth Narrow Wide Ring 32t
Hope 1/4 Bash Plates
KMC Chain
SRAM PG990 Cassette 11-32t 9spd
SRAM X9 Rear Derailleur 9spd
SRAM X9 Shifter
Hope Pro 4 Straightpull Hubs 15x100F | 10x135R
DT Swiss Competition Double Butted Spokes
DT Swiss EX471 Rims
Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4 Tires(picking up rear soon)
DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt 10mm
Hope Tech 3 E4 4-piston Brakeset
Hope Floating Rotors 183mm F | 160mm R
Answer Rove R2 Pedals

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi - apologies for dragging up and old thread...but....

I need to wring another 6 months out of my 2005 NRS AIR (will then retire it to kids and loaner bike). Back shock finally died last year. Obviously don't want to spend much - but any thoughts if this cheap duel air china shock will work. AOY-36RC. My thinking is the original NRS shocks were duel chamber, (50psi in the negative and weight + 20 psi in the positive from memory...) any thoughts?

The price is low.

??

PM

561 - 578 of 578 Posts