Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

541 - 560 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Running a RS Bar 2.1 on mine. Got a Fox Alsp 4 but need mounting hardware to make it my backup until I decide to fork out coin for the RP23. The Bar is working just fine and will not be changed unless problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'05 NRS-3 gets new life

Been working on my old NRS-3. It'd basically been sitting unused for about 4 years. I live in Taipei (Taiwan) & this'll be my 'city' bike...it'll never see any off-road duty.

all new: manitou r7 pro, race face bar & stem, '13 xt 'everything' (brakes, shifters, mech/derailleurs front & rear, chain), maxxis hookworm 2.5" tires, wheels (mavic d321 rims / xt hubs)

Basically finished...just need to find the right pedals.

Bike's a tank (heavy), but smooth as silk and feels indestructible. I love it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm working on my mate's 02 NRS2 at the moment actually. About to try and rebuild his half-destroyed Manitou Black fork - found a replacement dampener on eBay which should hopefully do the job. Bit hard to come by the service manuals for it, but hopefully should be fine!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Back again

This is my 3rd nrs. I actually owned this model new 12 years ago, and could not resist owning it again. Sweet ride still, it suits me well.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a '03 NRS2 and it's weird. I have Psylo forks, Hayes brakes, Deore LX, XT hubs, and NRS shock, but can't find any info or models that match.

I would like some recommendations for rebuilding the stock shock as it has no dampening at all.
I don't want a new shock because I'm giving it to my 13 year-old son. Yes, he's already 6-feet tall. :thumbsup:

·
dirtbag
1,513 Posts
I got a '03 NRS2 and it's weird. I have Psylo forks, Hayes brakes, Deore LX, XT hubs, and NRS shock, but can't find any info or models that match.

I would like some recommendations for rebuilding the stock shock as it has no dampening at all.
I don't want a new shock because I'm giving it to my 13 year-old son. Yes, he's already 6-feet tall. :thumbsup:

Looks like the fork is an aftermarket addition to get more suspension travel. If it's more than 100mm then it's gonna slacken the head angle some and slow steering. Not really a good match of a XC-oriented frame.

You could send the shock into this guy for a rebuild. He does good work and a quick turnaround. Price is pretty reasonable and much less than a new shock. Or pony up for a new shock...

Mountain Bike Shock Rebuilds - Progressive 5th, Manitou, Fox, Rockshox, Roco, X-fusion - Broken Bike

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
Looks like the fork is an aftermarket addition to get more suspension travel. If it's more than 100mm then it's gonna slacken the head angle some and slow steering. Not really a good match of a XC-oriented frame.
I had a 2002 NRS -- it and the 2003 NRS came setup for a 75mm fork -- at least that is what came stock.

I had replaced my rocker arms so I had 4" or 4.5" of travel in the rear, which allowed me to replace the stock fork with a 100mm -- the angle was a little more slack than stock, and I could tell it on the climbs as the front end wanted to pop up some. I do not remember the length of the replacement rocker arms (i.e., so you could tell if you had the stock 3" or the aftermarket 4-4.5" of travel in the rear).

As far as the shock in the rear, it has probably been replaced as well. I am pretty sure that the 2002/2003 came with Rock Shock rear shock, and the NRS or Fox shock came stock in 2005 or 2006. My rear shock had been replaced with a Cane Creek Cloud 9 -- over the 8-9 years I had my NRS, I rebuilt CCC9 a couple of times. One time I ordered the rebuild kit form Cane Creek's web site, and the other time I had a local bike shop order the rebuild kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ranier - thanks for the link! I'm going to contact him.

Journey - My frame serial is April 2003, but it has the NRS shock. It's an oddball for sure.

My son has an allergy to exercise, so the head angle isn't a concern. LOL
It's now his because they don't sell bikes this size in Korea, and the fact that I only paid $300 for it doesn't hurt either!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Race Face BB blew up and had to pound it all apart. Got new Deore cranks, BB, chain and cluster. I think it'll be good for ANOTHER 10 years! now trying to decide if I should get a RockShox Monarch XX with a suspension lockout instead of rebuilding the old shock. Any suggestions?

My 13 yo son. Yes, the frame is an "L"!

·
Registered
448 Posts
psylo/

your Psylo is an exc. fork-great dampening & it should have adj. travel 80mm to 120mm the U-turn dial on the right in pic.....appears your frame is the Euro editions with adj. rear shock upper links.nice find......depending on how your Son plans to ride it,a stock rebuild be suffice & be the least $$$. ps/ have you tried airing up the rear shock? if it has 2 air valves be sure to follow the manuf. recommendations regarding pressures.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got lucky on this one. Got it for less than $300! It has carbon bars, Michelin tires and a bunch of little mods. I think I'm going to have to rebuild the forks as the dampening isn't working right and put in the blue(?) springs. They're a little soft for me.
The rear shock has only one air valve, but no dampening. Probably around $50 shipping and $90 to get it rebuilt by Kyle at The Broken Bike, or spend a little extra and get a NEW better shock with a lockout....
I am only familiar with RockShox. Fox used to be down the street from me, but I don't know which ones are best. The lockout is a must for me - I'm BIG now... LOL
Any opinions on shocks anyone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got lucky on this one. Got it for less than $300! It has carbon bars, Michelin tires and a bunch of little mods. I think I'm going to have to rebuild the forks as the dampening isn't working right and put in the blue(?) springs. They're a little soft for me.
The rear shock has only one air valve, but no dampening. Probably around $50 shipping and $90 to get it rebuilt by Kyle at The Broken Bike, or spend a little extra and get a NEW better shock with a lockout....
I am only familiar with RockShox. Fox used to be down the street from me, but I don't know which ones are best. The lockout is a must for me - I'm BIG now... LOL
Any opinions on shocks anyone?
Good deal at under $300.

I recently picked up the below lightly used carbon NRS 1 ('05?) off of CL and it came with a RockShox Reba Race fork. It's got the lockout on it and does just fine with my 200+ lbs coming down on it, and it apparently works with the bike's geometry.

I spent so long trying to figure out what year this was, and trying to find matching examples on line, with little success. Turns out the guy selling it to me had brought it with him from Australia.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice looking bike!
Geez, you're taller than I am! What did you get it for?
I got mine from an English teacher here that had to leave Korea in a hurry. Why? I dunno, but a lot of them do stupid things...

On the year - Look at the serial number. You'll have two letters, then a number (the year) and then a letter (the month) that the frame was welded. That's about as close as you'll get, because they sometimes welded a bunch and didn't build them up until later.
Hope this helps!
Baron

·
Registered
6 Posts
The guy I got it from was a giant himself - I had to lower the seat to reach the pedals. :lol:

I paid $650 for it with a few extras thrown in. It seemed like a decent price for the good condition that it's in.

Thanks for the tip on the year. I'll have to flip it over when I get home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Managed to snap the bolt that was holding the seat in :confused:
It snapped when i was riding out of my drive way. My ass hit the rear tire and the pole cut the side of my leg. Lucky i didnt lose my testicles or my ass hole virginity haha. But all seriousness that could of been much worse especially if i was riding off the road gutter. Feel a bit scared now going to take a while to regain confidence on this bike. Makes me wonder what else is loose or weak on the bike. Anyone else had similar problems? You might want to check your seat now just to be sure haha

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I already fixed it with a new bolt. And my frame has a dint on the top of it when i bought it. Wouldnt go as far as to say these frames are strong but they arent cheap.

541 - 560 of 578 Posts