Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

521 - 540 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just scored this frame over the holidays.....2002 NRS XTC Pro 20.5"

Added full XT drivetrain, Rockshox Reba100mm Team fork, Avid mech discs with speedial levers, WTB speed V seat & Exiwolf 2.1 tires, eggbeater mtb pedals (black with gold spring that matches handlebars), Oury grips, Kore stem, black 30.9 seatpost, black rollamajig & jagwire cabling. Bought 2 RWC bearing kits for the 04 up frame because they don't have pre 04 kit but only one bearing is different from pre 04 frame & also got 2 BETD Horst link kits that change bushings to bearings as well as the upgrade o-ring rebuild kit for the SID rr shock. Bike is built but still need to do frame bearings and shock rebuild. After that it'll be better than new and ready to rock. Bearings/bushings aren't toast but want complete fresh start. Shock has the negative chamber out as most of these have happen but still feels good enough to ride it around to dial in the drivetrain and get a feel for the bike. Can't wait to get done and throw some actual trail at it. My other FS bike is a resurrected full Deore 1995 Trek Y-22 and it is still nice as hell but the NRS will be a nice addition and newer multilink suspension will be better I believe. Diggin it already, gonna be fun............better pics/vids to come.

·
bicycle bicycle bicycle
80 Posts
OK folks, I saw that this thread is still active so I thought I would post up my recent rebuild.

2002 NRS2 that I have owned since new. This was my first nice bike that I ever bought and I have hung on to it all these years. I gave this bike a face lift in 2008 and converted it over to a SS which was a balst until I started having issues with the front shock and the rear shock holding air.

I decided it was time to update it and I am having a blast riding this bike. It fits me so well and it is so quick handling. First picture below is the before, second picture is the after

I completely tore down the frame and stripped every piece down to the raw aluminum. Then I rebuilt it piece by piece.

• cleaned/replaced all pivot bushings
• rebuilt the SID rear shock
• Fox 32 F80
• Shimano XT rear derailleur, cassette 1x9 and chain
• FSA crank and BB (32 tooth ring)
• Avid BB7
• Sun Rhyno Lite Hoops with Shimano XT hubs
• Origin 8 Space Bar
• Soma Saddle

Most of the new parts were NOS that i bought online either 2010 or 2011 closeout items so I did this on a fairly respectable budget.

I also have a 2009 Anthem X2 and the NRS is back to being my preferred ride.

Peace

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sweet build on the red/black turned raw aluminum above by King..................

Did a 15 mile shakedown blast around my greenbelts last night and it was very good. This bike kicks ass and feels great.........even without rr shock being rebuilt yet or frame pivots being replaced yet. Got 2 sets of fresh enduro pivot bearings with 2 sets of BETD horst link bushing to bearing conversions on the way & also 2 sets of fresh mount hardware/eyelets for rr shock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ended up putting my "new" unused 2004 Rockshox Bar rr shock on the bike since the mounting hardware I scored fit it but not the SID XC. Tightened up the bike completely. The upper mounting hardware on the rr shock was where the play was. Still waiting on the horst link bearing kit to arrive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your judgement is extremely suspect at this point.

:D
Suspect all you want. It doesn't take a $5000.00 Xgames or Red Bull event level bike to have fun riding trails. This thing still does great for what it is and no issues whatsoever. Yeah, I like it. Others don't have to. I like all kinds of different bikes and reserve judgement for what I have experienced. Sure it'd suck bad for DH or any crazy freeriding but it does do what it was designed to do very well still. I have 14 bikes so this one doesn't have to take all the beatings every time I want to ride. Don't need FS every time I ride either. I have maybe 500.00 in this fresh new condition bike. Show me a brand new FS bike anywhere near that price that does anything better in XC category and has full Deore/Hayes/Rockshox/Fox setup. I am extremely suspect at that being possible.........

back to NRS thread in progress.................

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,422 Posts
Now your humor-detection is very suspect. :D

For the record - I owned and rode the crap out of a Y-22 back in the mid/late 90's.

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
would you have any rear shock levers for sale?
Have you checked ebay? I have occasionally seen NRS / XTC frames and/or parts for sale on ebay. One time, I purchased a rear triangle so that I could salvage some of the parts. I cannot remember if the rear triangle came with lever arms. If you PM me, I can take a look this weekend.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi guys i have Giant NRS 3 thinking about upgrading my RS. is the RS dimension 6.5mm by 1.5mm? currently have older model of Fox float r propedal, what you guys recommend, what is the RS dimension? thank you

·
dirtbag
1,513 Posts
Hi guys i have Giant NRS 3 thinking about upgrading my RS. is the RS dimension 6.5mm by 1.5mm? currently have older model of Fox float r propedal, what you guys recommend, what is the RS dimension? thank you
Yup, 6.5 x 1.5 is the shock spec. I've used RS SID and CC Cloud 9 on my NRS. Currently have the SID on with the CCC9 as a backup (once it's rebuilt). I've seen RS SID and Fox shocks for NRS on ebay every once in a while.

521 - 540 of 578 Posts