Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best tire size for downhill/freerider on nrs frame?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2003 NRS2 handles a 2.3 Weirwolf in the rear just fine. I thought that it would be a real tight squeeze but I haven't had any rub on the chainstays yet. I have a Manitou Black Elite fork which should handle a 2.4 tire but I have the 2.3 Weirwolf on the front as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does anyone recommend any tires [im new to downhill and my current hutchinson pythons suck, im even scared to turn sometimes lol] for my bike for slow technical downhill and maybe some fast dowhill? and they need to fit on my frame

thx :confused:

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I've tried 2.35 Kenda Blue Grooves adn Nevegals on the rear (if you compare them to contis, the Kenda 2.1 is the same as the conti 2.3) and they were too close for me to want to ride. Zero mud clearance, and if my rim gets slightly out of true it would rub. I think the 2.1 are good enough for a rear anyway- and I like to ride some gnarly tech sections too. I like a larger tire on the front since I'm not doing any tractor pulls or holeshot drag racing on my bike, it just doesn't need a fat meat on the rear.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much clearance will i get if i buy 2.3 WTB weirwolfs? will it be pretty safe to run that size of tire..i haven't seen that tire in person but im thinking about buying thats why i ask. Thanks for your reply's! :) gmatic maybe you could measure the clearance for me?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have about 4-5 mm clearance on either side of the chaistay and about 17 mm at the top (tread) part of the tire. The seatstay gives me about 5 mm each side and 17 mm at the top part of the tire. I run the tire at 35 psi in the rear. I've ridden in mud and gravel and haven't had any of the paint rub off on the inside of the stays yet. I guess there is enough clearance since there hasn't been any rub yet. I definitely couldn't go with a bigger tire than this on the back.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gmatic said:
I have about 4-5 mm clearance on either side of the chaistay and about 17 mm at the top (tread) part of the tire. The seatstay gives me about 5 mm each side and 17 mm at the top part of the tire. I run the tire at 35 psi in the rear. I've ridden in mud and gravel and haven't had any of the paint rub off on the inside of the stays yet. I guess there is enough clearance since there hasn't been any rub yet. I definitely couldn't go with a bigger tire than this on the back.
thx a lot gmatic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.