Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at used NRS frames. I am 5'11" with a 31.5" inseam. Should I be looking for an 18.5" or 20.5" frame? There appear to be more 18.5" frames for sale--thus the reason for this post. I currently ride a 19.5" Trek, but the I only have ~1.5" of stand over clearance, and would like a bit more.

Thx.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
I'm your Huckleberry

I'm 5' 11.5" tall, with a 32" inseam. I ride an M 18.5" NRS(race only bike) as well as an L 20.5"(trail/race bike) daily. Both fit, but you'll prob like the 18.5 better from your description. I run a 110mm stem on the L frame, and a 120mm on the M. Shorter stem on the M frame and I start worrying about hitting my knees on the shifter/bars while steering and climbing out of the saddle. With a shorter fork like an 80mm Sid or equal, combined with the 120mm stem, the bike feels endo prone-ish sorta over logcrossings and such. With a 100mm fork, its perfect. In comparison, the L feels long and a touch slow in the tight stuff. Not quit as twitchy feeling maybe tho. Somewhat more stable in the rough(due to the 1" longer wheelbase). Doesn't climb quite as well since the frames longer from by 1" from the BB to the steertube. One must lean farther forward to transfer more weight up front on the short steeps. No biggie, but since I swap back and forth, I can notice it. Noticeable less standover as well, which will be less then your 19.5" Trek. I run max post(meaning its even with the bottom of the shim with a 350mm Alien carbon)with the M frame.

For reference, my 19" Schwinn Moab HT fits me perfect..so I suspect I need a 19" NRS, but alas....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the exact same problem..

Hey I bought a Giant NRS 2 this year, I'm about 5''12 with a 32" inseem , so basically the same difference with you...I chose the 18.5 , more stand over height + the NRS comes with a super long 120 mm stem....Go 18.5 for better riding and racing handling, it's a sweeet frame design, the 20.5 is just too big for us guys who aren't 6"2++, the NRS is a quick frame that isn't super compact, with a long top tube, you can afford to go smaller....goood luck

Cheers
El Dano

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.