Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at grabbing a pair of carbon wheels. Found some some deals, all around the same price +/-$150. All of these are 29" 15/110 12/148, about 30mm. Looking to put 2.4, maybe 2.5 tires. Should I go with 30mm, or maybe look at 35mm? (Added Derby, they are the most expensive by a little). Gong on m Hightower LT, with the old wheelset going to my Moxie when I want 29"

Enve M730 w/ I9 Torch, all black. Factory bld
Nox Farlow w/ I9 Hydra, custom build. Red Hubs, Centerlock (or mabe P321)
Crank Brothers Syntheses E11 w/ I9 Hydra. Factory bld
Santa Cruz Reserve w/ 350. Factor bld
Derby i35 or i30 (AM frnt DH rear) w/ P321. custom bld

I know the CB got a lot of hate from their not so great previous wheels. But these actually sound pretty good.

Also keyboard is having trouble with Y, U, I tried to fix it, but may have missed some

·
This place needs an enema
17,090 Posts
For a 2.4 or 2.5" tire, 30mm is pretty wide already. I run 2.6's on 30's and they seem fine. I wouldn't go wider.

I like Nox rims a lot -- build with 'em weekly.

I also like DT 350's a lot. Often lace 'em to Nox.

I'd skip the CB's on general principle, but I also spend a lot of time on remote routes and simply wouldn't trust them when way out yonder.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Looking at grabbing a pair of carbon wheels. Found some some deals, all around the same price +/-$150. All of these are 29" 15/110 12/148, about 30mm. Looking to put 2.4, maybe 2.5 tires. Should I go with 30mm, or maybe look at 35mm? (Added Derby, they are the most expensive by a little). Gong on m Hightower LT, with the old wheelset going to my Moxie when I want 29"

Enve M730 w/ I9 Torch, all black. Factory bld
Nox Farlow w/ I9 Hydra, custom build. Red Hubs, Centerlock (or mabe P321)
Crank Brothers Syntheses E11 w/ I9 Hydra. Factory bld
Santa Cruz Reserve w/ 350. Factor bld
Derby i35 or i30 (AM frnt DH rear) w/ P321. custom bld

I know the CB got a lot of hate from their not so great previous wheels. But these actually sound pretty good.

Also keyboard is having trouble with Y, U, I tried to fix it, but may have missed some
I'd go for the Synthesis wheels (in fact, I have, but not yet built them up). They actually bring something new to the table with the compliant/stiff approach. You will also get the best hubs out of the various alternatives you are listing above (joint with Nox).

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,199 Posts
Nextie or Light Bicycle with DT Swiss Hubs. Gives up nothing to those other wheelsets.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
I purchased Synthesis/i9 hydra wheels a month ago.

While durability is yet to be seen, at this point I am unequivocally pleased with this wheelset.

The fit and finish of the Synthesis rims are as good as any I've seen, and better than most. The hydra hubs are fantastic (long time user of older i9 hubs). The Sapim CXray and sprint spoke configuration, along with the different width of the rims, makes for a very unique ride. Someone on this forum recently wrote a very nice review which I endorse and agree with. The lifetime rim warranty is an added bonus.

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
I think all the wheelsets that the OP are good, it's going to come down to personal preference. I personally will not purchase enve, and crankbros seems to be cleaning up their act but I am still waiting a bit longer.

I would for sure add something like we are one into the list. Good warranty - check. Good hub options - check. Built/manufactured in North America - check.

Nextie carbonfan and lightbicycle are great overseas options as well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think the OP needs to specify what kind of use the wheels will see, and what kind of benefits he's looking for in his wheelset. Some of these options, e.g. the Enve M730, are as heavy as a regular aluminum wheelset, so if weight loss is an important aspect, that would be a poor choice.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I run a 2.6 Rekon in front and 2.35 Ikon in the rear on 35mm ID SPANK Oozy Trail 395's with no issues. Mated to new i9 Hydras. Great combo IMO.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I think the OP needs to specify what kind of use the wheels will see, and what kind of benefits he's looking for in his wheelset. Some of these options, e.g. the Enve M730, are as heavy as a regular aluminum wheelset, so if weight loss is an important aspect, that would be a poor choice.
same with reserve 30 they are close in weight to the m730

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Check out We Are One Components! They have i9 101 hubs laced to 27 or 30mm carbon rims for $999. All made in North America(US and Canada)! Or choose your own hubs and get a custom build. Worth adding to your list for sure!

·
Norðwegr
1,910 Posts
Nextie has free worldwide shipping and some coupons for further reductions on their website at the moment.

1. FREE SHIPPING all over the world;

2. Discount of $20-$150 additional off.

- a) $20 off for order amount over $300, use coupon code: 6YEARS20;

- b) $40 off for order amount over $500, use coupon code: 6YEARS40;

- c) $70 off for order amount over $800, use coupon code: 6YEARS70;

- d) $100 off for order amount over $1000, use coupon code: 6YEARS100;

- e) $150 off for order amount over $1500, use coupon code: 6YEARS150;

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd go for the Synthesis wheels (in fact, I have, but not yet built them up). They actually bring something new to the table with the compliant/stiff approach. You will also get the best hubs out of the various alternatives you are listing above (joint with Nox).
https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/crank-brothers-synthesis-wheelset-review-1106519.htmlhttps://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/crank-brothers-synthesis-wheelset-review-1106519.html

My review of the CB Synthesis wheelset linked above. I bought the E11 first for my enduro bike. I was so impressed that I ended up getting the XCT11 for my light trail bike.

TLDR, Expensive, but phenomenal wheelset.
They really do look great. I do want them, but at the same time, its crankbros. lol

Nextie or Light Bicycle with DT Swiss Hubs. Gives up nothing to those other wheelsets.
I think Ill pass on em. They are cheap, but I do enjoy the support that come with the others

I think all the wheelsets that the OP are good, it's going to come down to personal preference. I personally will not purchase enve, and crankbros seems to be cleaning up their act but I am still waiting a bit longer.

I would for sure add something like we are one into the list. Good warranty - check. Good hub options - check. Built/manufactured in North America - check.

Nextie carbonfan and lightbicycle are great overseas options as well.
Hadnt seen much about we are one, but they look good

Itll go on a hightower LT. I enjoy technical, and flow trails, medium-ish features. No huge jumps, mainly tabletop stuff, with a good amount of drops. Looking for something stiff and strong. Not concerned about weight too much

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Synthesis wheels are built like conventional wheels. Not like the monstrosities that are their older wheelsets. I can understand the hate on CB, but that was years ago. The same could be said about Evil bikes. They've turned around and actually make good, reliable products now, along with great customer support. Synthesis wheels have a lifetime warranty, which to me, means a whole lot.

I'm not trying to convince you to buy the Synthesis. Just trying to clear the stigma associated with CB.

·
This place needs an enema
17,090 Posts
I must have been moving too fast when I read your original post. Didn't clock that Derby was on that list.

I have 2 sets of Derby rims for my own FS mtb. One 27.5 x 50 for 3.8" tires, one 29 x 30mm for 2.8" tires. Quiver of one, at least for chunky trails.

Deets here.

Great rims, great guy standing behind them.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I must have been moving too fast when I read your original post. Didn't clock that Derby was on that list.

I have 2 sets of Derby rims for my own FS mtb. One 27.5 x 50 for 3.8" tires, one 29 x 30mm for 2.8" tires. Quiver of one, at least for chunky trails.

Deets here.

Great rims, great guy standing behind them.
Nah, I just edited it a couple times. Derby was last one to make the cut. But if a wheelbuilder seems to prefer derby, then... :idea:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.