Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
rode there wednesday it was very dry with small areas of almost hero dirt, thinking with the current weather trend should be awesome on saturday

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rode the Nox 8/24/18, South park & Jay walk trails were very swampy in spots. It will take a more than couple of really dry days to get it back to normal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rode the Nox 9/03/18, South park & Jay walk trails still very swampy in spots. The rest of the trails had some slick mud in spots from the rain this past week. It seems just a little rain is keeping them from drying out and adding more wet spots on the other trails.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
From the rain that friends back there are telling me about, I wouldn't be riding there at all right now. No offense, but if you are encountering "swampy spots and slick myd" at Nox, it is time to reconoiter.

There are other trails in the area that have different soil/perc rates and drain differently.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I'm actually surprised with all the rain this year its wasn't closed at all. I know in years past it got shut down a bunch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah I wasn't expecting that.. we got about third of an inch so will be at least a few more days+....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
540 Posts
I rode at Nox on Saturday and it was very wet. The upper loop has a number of small stream beds that were all running. It was rock and gravel underneath so that wasn't terrible. All the stream crossings are high. The south end was muddy as usual. The weather looks like spring rains for a bit. Hopefully we don't have a swamp summer like last year.

Also does anyone know of a good spot at the park to hose off a bike?

·
Registered
Santa Cruz HT2 (CC, XT), Stigmata (CC, GRX800)
589 Posts
I rode at Nox on Saturday and it was very wet. The upper loop has a number of small stream beds that were all running. It was rock and gravel underneath so that wasn't terrible. All the stream crossings are high. The south end was muddy as usual. The weather looks like spring rains for a bit. Hopefully we don't have a swamp summer like last year.

Also does anyone know of a good spot at the park to hose off a bike?
Not to sound like a d*ck, but if the trails were that muddy you actually need to hose off your bike afterwards, you probably shouldn't have ridden the trails.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question or the actual 'muddiness' of your bike... ;)

Yeah, I'm praying for a drier summer this year. Last year sucked. Just a heads up: because of the landscape and exposure, Trexler usually drains/dries faster than all the other local trails.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
I rode there on Thursday the 11th and it was pretty good. Just a couple of small muddy spots on the South Park trail after the Gnome Home. all the water crossings were at normal levels. The rain on Friday must have been pretty heavy there. Its tough to gauge when its an appropriate time to ride Nox in the Spring. Just because the sign says 'Trail Open' there is a caveat that says, except in wet conditions. You'll know less than 60 meters into a ride there to know if its okay or not. Trail usually takes at least 48 to 72 hours of no rain and sun to dry out this time of year.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It was much better today. I rode the south loop after work. It's going to be washout for bit weatherwise though.

The hose question was more about a needed wash and wipe down any time I'm there. Even in dry conditions. I have no access to one at home. Anyway be safe and have fun wherever you ride.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It appears that someone was riding a horse on the eastern woods trail this weekend. There are hoof prints all along it. Some are deep impressions in the rollers. Kind of dangerous if someone comes flying around a turn and a unexpected horse is there. At least at green lane you know you have to watch for them, but at the bike trails in Nox they are not expected to be there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It appears that someone was riding a horse on the eastern woods trail this weekend. There are hoof prints all along it. Some are deep impressions in the rollers. Kind of dangerous if someone comes flying around a turn and a unexpected horse is there. At least at green lane you know you have to watch for them, but at the bike trails in Nox they are not expected to be there.
if you haven't already done so, please report it to the the park. per DCNR regulations horses are prohibited from these MTB trails. Email i found on the DCNR page for NOX is:

[email protected]

·
Registered
236 Posts
Still seeing issues with 'ride arounds' when bikers should be sticking to the trail. One blatant example is the 'rooty up' on Jaywalk just after the stream crossing while riding CCW. Looks like riders have been creating a cheat line, in both directions to avoid it.
If you don't think you can ride it then walk it or session it until you can ride it. Its not that hard a move in either direction. Seeing lots of other spots where riders are short cutting bends around armored sections.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've seen that too around mud holes and such. That root up can be a bit tough. I just try to get some speed and charge up taking a left line into a right curve over it.

I do wish they'd fix that huge mud hole after gnome home. I'm bad with trail names but I'm sure some know what I mean.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts