Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Rode Nox on Sunday and it was epic, hero, whatever-you-wanna-call perfect dirt! It was so grippy and pretty fast too! I love that place and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside because I was involved in the planning and helped build many of the trails. The crew that maintains and improves the place is killer. Thanks people!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hope so too. 1/4 of rain on the trails this morning after an inch of rain and 5 inches of snow since Sunday night. Horrible wet spring we are having.

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
Is nox still closed by the park? I was hoping to hit it up after work on Thursday, but don't want to plan my day if it's closed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, still under DCNR enforced closure. It will get posted “open” on the state parks website and the ridenox Facebook as soon as it opens.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nox facebook page says trail is open. Rode on Tuesday and conditions were very nice. Just a couple of small puddles and gooey spots in a handful of places. Not going again until Sunday to let it dry out from Wednesday and Friday rain.
Nox trail crew did a great job cutting out some downed trees from winter storms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nox facebook page says trail is open. Rode on Tuesday and conditions were very nice. Just a couple of small puddles and gooey spots in a handful of places. Not going again until Sunday to let it dry out from Wednesday and Friday rain.
Nox trail crew did a great job cutting out some downed trees from winter storms.
Hey Dougr, what’s the name of the box Facebook page? I’m not that great on FB and can’t locate.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just feel like I need to say something. If you ride the trails at Nox, please, stick to the trails laid out by the awesome crew! Stop widening and cutting corners! I was there this past Sunday for the first time this year, and I couldn't believe some of the damage. Don't avoid roots, you're on a mountain bike! Don't widen corners, learn how to ride your damn bike! If it's wet, and there's a puddle, go right through it! It' much easier to fix a center rut then it is to bring a widened trail back. And stop straight lining corners!

Nox is an amazing trail network, tended to by very dedicated individuals, and I realize it's probably one of the heavier used trail systems I ride, but we need to do better.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I just feel like I need to say something. If you ride the trails at Nox, please, stick to the trails laid out by the awesome crew! Stop widening and cutting corners! I was there this past Sunday for the first time this year, and I couldn't believe some of the damage. Don't avoid roots, you're on a mountain bike! Don't widen corners, learn how to ride your damn bike! If it's wet, and there's a puddle, go right through it! It' much easier to fix a center rut then it is to bring a widened trail back. And stop straight lining corners!

Nox is an amazing trail network, tended to by very dedicated individuals, and I realize it's probably one of the heavier used trail systems I ride, but we need to do better.
Agreed.

I've spent a lot of time on that trail since literally the first day of its construction. In my observation most riders do pretty much stay on the trails but as stated above, the sheer volume of riders does have an impact

The Stravaheads deliberately cutting corners to cheat and the guys who think riding immediately after a 1" rainstorm is a great idea are another story. These guys should be called out for their irresponsibility.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I was there Wednesday for the first time this year. I was really surprised how much it changed at spots and also how wet some spots were still, I was expecting it to be dry.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Agreed.

I've spent a lot of time on that trail since literally the first day of its construction. In my observation most riders do pretty much stay on the trails but as stated above, the sheer volume of riders does have an impact

The Stravaheads deliberately cutting corners to cheat and the guys who think riding immediately after a 1" rainstorm is a great idea are another story. These guys should be called out for their irresponsibility.
One of my good racing buds and fellow shop employee from years back once told a guy that came into the shop talking about riding on a wet day, that he was going to be hiding behind a tree at Wiss...waiting to wail whoever rode by in the face with a hefty stick.

The guy he said this to look mortified, and I, feeling for the guy, but trying not to die laughing, tried to diffuse the situation, and with a little more diplomacy explain to him not to ride when it was wet.

The more time has gone by, the more I think my bud was right. His other idea was signs that basically called the offenders out with choice expletives and insults...his thought was no one really read the sign unless you said "hey you stupid asshole....this that and the other". Essentially you need to get their attention with something they won't just ignore.

Well, anyway, might not go over to well, but nice to dream.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I rode there this past Sunday and conditions were very good. That said, I noticed a lot of spots where people are riding next to or around armored (logs and rocks) sections. I'm puzzled by this. If you're too scared, as a rider, to ride the armored sections then you shouldn't be on the trail.
Another thing, just because the system is open on a seasonal basis, people should still refrain from riding 24 to 48 hours after a good, soaking rainstorm. I don't want to hear "the sign says its open so I'm gonna ride anyway" Please use common sense. You'll know within the first 100 yards whether conditions warrant riding or bailing.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I rode there this past Sunday and conditions were very good. That said, I noticed a lot of spots where people are riding next to or around armored (logs and rocks) sections. I'm puzzled by this. If you're too scared, as a rider, to ride the armored sections then you shouldn't be on the trail.
I've often wondered about this. Is it the peeps that are just uber timid, or is the self-centered, self-absorbed wad that thinks they have a better idea of trail flow, and the right to do as they please?

Another thing, just because the system is open on a seasonal basis, people should still refrain from riding 24 to 48 hours after a good, soaking rainstorm. I don't want to hear "the sign says its open so I'm gonna ride anyway" Please use common sense. You'll know within the first 100 yards whether conditions warrant riding or bailing.
Exactly, I'd driven all the way there many times to turn right around and leave because it wasn't ready to ride.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Two sayings that seem to have relevance regarding the poor decisions some mtbrs make regarding the trails are:

1.) Common sense isn't so common.

2.) You can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz HT2 (CC, XT), Stigmata (CC, GRX800)
589 Posts
Any trail condition updates?
I planned to ride it Saturday, but I'm concerned about the effects of recent rainfall.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 76 Posts