Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my AM rig with a carbon wheelset, and I am debating which one to pick up. Does anyone have experience with both brands? Both are now hookless, and have good reviews.

Right now I'm planning on going with the nox AM27.5 over the Enve M70s. The Nox wheels arn't as bling, and arn't made in the usa, but they are wider, lighter, and almost $1200 cheaper. They also don't have internal nipples which make truing a pain. What am I missing, what makes the Enve wheels command such a high price?

·
Norðwegr
1,909 Posts
Brand reputation as highend, great warranty, $400 crash replacements, good CS and US workers cost more. That's my [assumed] view on the higher pricetag of Enve wheels, I still went with them based on reviews and the awesome crash replacement though. My Scalpel became a beast with 27.5 Enve rims and P321 hubs.

For my 29" I'm looking into the new wheelset from Ibis. I'm extremely unsure about the hookless design, but I guess if they made them, it can't be unsafe.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
I've owned both along with specialized rovals.

Currently on NOX.

ENVE - stiff, high quality, great reputation, company should be around for a while now it appears. expensive, and I personally don't like internal nipples, particularly on a tubeless wheelset. I did manage to knock my rear AM out of true, and having to pull everything apart was a pain in the butt.

NOX - priced great, very stiff also, I like asymetric wheelsets as it just makes sense to me. Easy to get a hold of. External nipples. Concernn is if they will make it long term as they are a small company in which case warranty could be more difficult. But, I can get 2 NOX rims for the price of one ENVE.

Both ride well, both are stiff.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Green Giant - since you've owned both brands how would you rank the fit/finish? Also how do the Rovals compare? They could be an option if they come out with a 27.5 soon.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
Everyone I have build Nox rims for has absolutely loved them. As mentioned above, you can get a decked out Nox wheelset with Kings for less than the price of just 2 ENVE rims!

·
Registered
827 Posts
My Nox wheels have been great. Built up with Hope hubs. The finish on them looks top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
There's always next year.
872 Posts
No time on ENVE rims, but I do have Nox XCXs (their 29er XC rim) and they've been absolutely amazing. The people at Nox are second to none as well--some of best CS I've exert received. As Green Giant said, my only (little) worry is if the company lasts. But based on the build quality, the rims may outlast me!

ENVE's have a lot of positives as well, but my Nox experience has been so positive, I'd can't see buying another company's carbon rims.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Had ENVE 29er AM wheels on my Tallboy LTC and never had an issue....$2550

Bought a (1) month old Tallboy with ENVE 29er *XC* wheels and have damaged both of them within (8) months. (1) is trashed and un-usable tubeless. the other is usable but the carbon is peeling like an onion. Since I'm not the original owner, I'm hosed. No help from ENVE.

Now have NOX 27.5 AM wheels on my Pivot Mach 6 and the XC version on my Tallboy. No issues what so ever....**$1500** built up with I9 hubs. Would never even consider ENVE again.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have both the Nox XC 29ers and the Enve XC 29ers as well as Enve R45s on my road bike. I really like Enve components. They stand behind their product, have good customer service and an excellent warranty policy. That having been said if my Nox wheelset proves to be as durable I would not purchase another Enve 29er wheelset. The Nox wheelset appears to be very high quality and after a dozen or so rides I have no complaints. Just can't justify an extra $1K for Enves when I cannot feel any difference in the ride quality / stiffness of the Nox. Good sign that they are having trouble keeping up with demand .... bodes well for them being around for the long haul. . Hopefully they are being careful with their QC as they expand capacity.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
Green Giant - since you've owned both brands how would you rank the fit/finish? Also how do the Rovals compare? They could be an option if they come out with a 27.5 soon.
Fit and finish is equal in my opinion.

Sure, ENVE has the better "look at what I am riding" graphics, but as for the rim quality both look great.

I feel the current ENVE XC rim is too narrow - period. But looks like things are changing in that regard. make no mistake a high quality product. I just would rather pay for the NOX.

As for Roval... yes I have owned those also.

Also good fit and finish, great package deal on the wheels. That said, I did have a lot of issues with spokes breaking on the rear. Specialized and my local dealer was GREAT about replacing not only the wheel, but the wheelset. But... I moved to NOX.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Fit and finish is equal in my opinion.

I feel the current ENVE XC rim is too narrow - period.
Looking at the width of the Nox 275AM rim, it's actually on the narrow side at 27.6mm inner diameter compared with a number of carbon rims out there, e.g. derbys (35mm id), LB (30mm id) and now Ibis (35mm id).

I'm sure it depends on your intended use: dh v. am v. xc and maybe inner diameter may match up according dh (35mm) v. am (30mm) and xc (27.6mm).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts