Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new Dusters built up..also just got some tubeless ready Bonti tires.
There's still no rim strips for the Duster/Rhytmm so it's going to be a DIY set up.
I have the standard Stan's 29er rim strip and his goop...will strapping tape and tial and error be enough?
Any other suggestions?

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
toddre said:
what's the difference between the stan's 29er and the Bonti RL whatever strips?
Stans is a stretchable rubber strip that conforms to the rim. The Bontys are extruded plastic to match the profile of the rim. I have 1 set of Mustangs with Stans and 1 set of Mustangs TLR's with the strips. Can not say one is better than the other except that the TLR's "popped" the tire bead in clearly. All on standard 29er tires.

G

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G-Live said:
Stans is a stretchable rubber strip that conforms to the rim. The Bontys are extruded plastic to match the profile of the rim. I have 1 set of Mustangs with Stans and 1 set of Mustangs TLR's with the strips. Can not say one is better than the other except that the TLR's "popped" the tire bead in clearly. All on standard 29er tires.

G
Which Stan's strip did you use?

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Dusters with RXL strips is the best system I've ever used, and maybe the cheapest. I can't fathom why you wouldn't go that route. Every brand of tire I've used pops into place and takes quite and effort to unseat. After the initial seating, I've been able to re-inflate with as little as a mini-pump. The Bonty strip also doesn't ever change position and is waay easier to deal with if you get a tear and have to put a tube in.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
unsub1 said:
The Dusters with RXL strips is the best system I've ever used, and maybe the cheapest. I can't fathom why you wouldn't go that route. Every brand of tire I've used pops into place and takes quite and effort to unseat. After the initial seating, I've been able to re-inflate with as little as a mini-pump. The Bonty strip also doesn't ever change position and is waay easier to deal with if you get a tear and have to put a tube in.
How wide are these strips? I need them for the wider Dusters... Bontrager's website SUCKS for technical info...
I did E-mail them to ask about what to do to convert "Tubless-ready" rims with "tubeless ready" tires when they don't have a strip available!!!!!!.... here's the response...

"I have heard of some people having good luck with the Stan's kit for
28mm wide rims like that. I believe it is the kit for the Stan's bran
29er rims, however this is not something I have tried myself and is
only
something I have heard second hand. May be worth looking into though.
Sorry for the delay in our rim strips, we are working on it.

Ride on,"

I guess it's trial and error or tubes

·
Registered
273 Posts
The inner channel on the 2 rims are almost identical. The strips snap in perfectly. I can't imagine the Duster strips are even going to be that different. A whole slew of people here in Austin are running the RXL strips on their Dusters without issue on some buuurly trails. Like I said, the RXL strips cost next to nothing compared to most stuff out there. It's not much of a gamble trying them. Just make sure you orient them correctly for the offset bed. You'll also need the valve stems which are cheap. Other than that, I use Stans fluid and they are just killer wheels. Virtually no air loss over weeks with some fluid in there.

toddre said:
How wide are these strips? I need them for the wider Dusters... Bontrager's website SUCKS for technical info...
I did E-mail them to ask about what to do to convert "Tubless-ready" rims with "tubeless ready" tires when they don't have a strip available!!!!!!.... here's the response...

"I have heard of some people having good luck with the Stan's kit for
28mm wide rims like that. I believe it is the kit for the Stan's bran
29er rims, however this is not something I have tried myself and is
only
something I have heard second hand. May be worth looking into though.
Sorry for the delay in our rim strips, we are working on it.

Ride on,"

I guess it's trial and error or tubes

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
unsub1 said:
The inner channel on the 2 rims are almost identical. The strips snap in perfectly. I can't imagine the Duster strips are even going to be that different. A whole slew of people here in Austin are running the RXL strips on their Dusters without issue on some buuurly trails. Like I said, the RXL strips cost next to nothing compared to most stuff out there. It's not much of a gamble trying them. Just make sure you orient them correctly for the offset bed. You'll also need the valve stems which are cheap. Other than that, I use Stans fluid and they are just killer wheels. Virtually no air loss over weeks with some fluid in there.
Great info..thanks
Well the first thing I'm going to try is strapping tape To fill the channel and cover any offeset holes and the 29er Stan's strip and goop (because I have it). Then maybe go ahead and order the Bonti ones if these don't hold

·
loud hubs save lives
702 Posts
unsub1 said:
Cheapest? i went to the LBS to get info on some Dusters and i was quoted 90 bucks per rim, which would put them more than the Flows.

how much are people paying for these, i've been really interested in them for a future wheel build.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sennaster said:
Cheapest? i went to the LBS to get info on some Dusters and i was quoted 90 bucks per rim, which would put them more than the Flows.

how much are people paying for these, i've been really interested in them for a future wheel build.
I think he meant that the Bonti rim strips are cheaper than Stan's..not the rims.
I was pretty shocked on how much the rims were too, but I got a really good deal on the whole package so I can't complain too much. Plus I like the Bonti stuff, usually not too expensive and pretty reliable

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.