Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Sunday saw the first ride for me in 4 or 5 weeks in my "backyard" here in Santa Fe, as the forest had re-opened at 12:01 am on Saturday. 2 Buddies and I actually drove to the beginning of the ride, to allow for more miles in the woods. The drive took abou 10 minutes, so no big deal, and we parked on Pacheco Canyon road, just where the dirt starts. We rode up Pacheco Canyon rd. (for those who aren't familiar with the area, it's a nice steady climb on a FS road) to Aspen Ranch, then hop on a superb trail, the upper section of Borrego which had us tear-assing through some remarkably clear, cool, and moist trail! We zipped down to the intersection of Rio en Medio and continued north towards the wilderness boundary. I'd actually never ridden this portion of trail before and was blown away by how incredible and remote it felt. I also knew that based on the amount of descending we were doing that there'd be some significant climbing in the near future! Sure enough, as we approached the next stream crossing at the Rio Nambe, it looked like some good, hard climbing was in store. All the creeks are running so well, it was hard to ride any of them without getting soaked feet, but as the temp. had climbed to warm, it actually felt nice. The climb after the creek was probably the most difficult rideable stretch of trail we encountered this day. It just was relentless, varying between steep and kiss-your-stem steep, but rideable. As we approached the Rio Capulin & Rancho Viejo, the climbing eased up, and we were treated to some open meadowy type trail that we took a pit stop on (one of many) to refuel. As we had now come face-to-face with the wilderness area boundary, we had to turn left, heading west southwest, on the Rio Capulin trail, heading towards the Nambe trail, which we then picked up for a short while before bearing left and heading southwest on a pretty rough trail, which was highlighted by a 1/2 mile or so hike-a-bike section up a drainage. We noted here that the trail was actually flagged and may be slated for some work, which would be incredible, as it was somewhat overgrown and eroded, but still pretty discernible. The hard part was actually finding the trail off of Nambe! Totally subtle and easy to miss. Anyhow, once up the drainage, the ride picked up where it left off.... classic rocky mountain/NM superlative trails! This trail (name unknown...) eventually hit Rio en Medio near the bottom, which we rode on briefly, then in and up another unknown (to me) and unmarked trail to take us back through a small valley and up onto a mesa-ish flat area that dumped us back on the road near where we parked!

My cycle-computer ceased functioning at 14.65 miles, so I figure we maybe got 22-24 miles in, maybe more, maybe less, but all good! Took 4.5 hours at a steady pace, including a few diversions and missed turns. I'd have to rate it a 9.5 or an A+. With a wee bit of trailwork, mostly weed-whacking brush on the sides near the hike-a-bike section, and some trail work there, it'd be a perfect 10!

I was wondering if anyone knew more about some of these mystery trails, or had a good map. I'll try and re-ride the route asap with my GPS and then look at the track on a map.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dr.Faustus said:
Did something similar (except I rode road to and from) on Saturday. Then did the road climb up to the ski area on Sunday.

Let me know if you want to do some weekend trail exploring. I'd be up for a "well where does this go" ride.

Hasta,
Dr.F.
nice ride then! we opted to avoid the road stretches for times sake, and due to the fact I'm still recovering! I've done the town/dale ball/ HP road/chamisa/winsor/big t/aspen vista/ski area/rio en medio to chupadero & home ride, also about a 5 hours, but wasn't quite up for that just yet! Soon though...... after this weekends race in Telluride, I should be near 100% and we can talk about an epic or two. Definately want to map the latter part of that ride via GPS!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Santa Fe Riding

Hey fellas....I'l going to put in some miles in santa fe this weekend on saturday. Was hoping to do that big loop i tried to hit back in June. Glen?

Dropped Tim an email, so let me know if you want to hook something big up.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Hey Matt

Timo said:
Hey fellas....I'l going to put in some miles in santa fe this weekend on saturday. Was hoping to do that big loop i tried to hit back in June. Glen?

I responded to your email but it bounced.
Anyway, thanks for the invite but I'd no doubt slow you down.
Sounds like a great loop though.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Timo said:

It'll be a stellar ride with priomo lush forest conditions! Rio en Medio is clear, Big T is clear, it''l be a great time. I'll be in Telluride racing on saturday, and in no shape to attempt it on Sunday. You could extend that loop we talked about by incorporating the "triangle" (reffered to as "Rancho [Viejo] Loop") and getting in some of that 'nasty ole Borrego' too! It's all in awesome shape..... I'd be there with you if not in T-Ride.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AndyN said:
I responded to your email but it bounced.
Anyway, thanks for the invite but I'd no doubt slow you down.
Sounds like a great loop though.
Ha! Slow my [email protected]@.... Andy, if you want to come up to SF and do an epic, and incorporate some of that ride, holler! There is no reason on the planet to rush these big rides, and you're more than capable of tearing it up anyhow. With an early start (8-9am) theres little problem in getting most all of it in before afternoon rain builds up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.