Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· unrooted
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tires are people running on lightweight trail builds? My wife’s bike is built as light as I can get it without going crazy, but I’ve always been able to run nobby nic 2.35 (???) tires without it weighing her down.
Are there currently any nobby tires in the 2.4” range that I should look at? She’s the opposite of aggressive, but we ride in a lot of loose chunk.

· Registered
2,598 Posts
It's too bad Maxxis doesn't still make the 2.4 Ardent that is not rated TR, those were pretty light (I recall something like low 700 grams) and setup great tubeless. If you can find some of those...

· Registered
1,637 Posts
It's too bad Maxxis doesn't still make the 2.4 Ardent that is not rated TR, those were pretty light (I recall something like low 700 grams) and setup great tubeless. If you can find some of those...
The issue with those is that they're Ardents…..

XR4 is a pretty good option I think, Team Issue is 780g claimed.

The new Ground Control isn't crazy light at 850 or so but seems like a good fast rolling front tire option.

Vittoria Mezcal has impressed me, probably best as a rear tire for trail applications. Agarro is great but heavy.

@Suns_PSD what do you like from Conti out of curiosity? I've enjoyed the Kaiser/Baron Projeckt on the big bike but never really messed with their trail tires. Mountain King seems kinda weird and undergunned.

· Registered
754 Posts
I'm in the same boat. 5 bikes at home all running Schwalbe, but 1kg+ for a Nobby NIC will have me looking elsewhere. I mean if you need beefed up sidewalls that's fine, but for those that don't they're not worth the weight. I mean I never thought I'd compare a schwalbe to a dhr exo and think the Minion was light.

Thankfully the racing twins are still a reasonable weight.

· Registered
696 Posts
What tires are people running on lightweight trail builds? My wife's bike is built as light as I can get it without going crazy, but I've always been able to run nobby nic 2.35 (???) tires without it weighing her down.
Are there currently any nobby tires in the 2.4" range that I should look at? She's the opposite of aggressive, but we ride in a lot of loose chunk.
Im assuming you're looking for 29" wheels, and if the old SnakeSkin version was good for her needs since she's not aggressive rider as you said, the new Nobby Nic SuperGround SpeedGrip weights 890g, and should be at least as strong as the old version with better tread pattern.
And if you want even lighter tires, you should look at xc tires (like Rocker Ron), but then you'll sacrifice some durability.

· Registered
406 Posts
If you like living dangerously; Vittoria XC casings are supple and light. Their Trail casings are a bit heavier and I’d compare them to old Schwalbes in the durability department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,275 Posts
I've been having luck with Kenda Saber Pro with reinforced sidewalls in 2.6" ffor my race bike. So today I tried a Kenda Booster Pro with thin sidewalls in 2.6" on my racebike, and the tire was very good. Thread is similar to Maxxis Rekon, but with shallower knobs, somewhere between Rekon and Rekon Race. The weight is 675g. I've recently been running Ikon 2.6, and I had to increase the pressure of the Booster 1psi to maintain firmness in turns compared to Ikon. With side knobs sticking out on the sides, and pressure being low, I hope that the sidewalls will hold up as a front tire. I weigh 82kg. Lighter riders might get away with the 2.4" version and save another 50g or so.

· Formerly of Kent
14,152 Posts
I've been having luck with Kenda Saber Pro with reinforced sidewalls in 2.6" ffor my race bike. So today I tried a Kenda Booster Pro with thin sidewalls in 2.6" on my racebike, and the tire was very good. Thread is similar to Maxxis Rekon, but with shallower knobs, somewhere between Rekon and Rekon Race. The weight is 675g. I've recently been running Ikon 2.6, and I had to increase the pressure of the Booster 1psi to maintain firmness in turns compared to Ikon. With side knobs sticking out on the sides, and pressure being low, I hope that the sidewalls will hold up as a front tire. I weigh 82kg. Lighter riders might get away with the 2.4" version and save another 50g or so.
How wide are the Saber and Booster 2.6s? On what width rim?

· Registered
1,275 Posts
How wide are the Saber and Booster 2.6s? On what width rim?

20psi, i27mm rim.
Booster Pro TR 2.6 is 62mm across the carcass and 65mm across the knobs.
Saber Pro SCT 2.6 is 62mm across the carcass and also across the knobs.

Both tires have sat over night @ 40psi a couple times to stretch them out, so this is as wide as they get unless you run higher pressures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.