Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some rides you are excited about?

Since almost everything around me(Salt Lake City) is already open to e-bikes my excitement is mostly for the Moab area.

-Mag-7
-Klonzo
-Bar M(Brand trails)
-Navajo Rocks
-Horsethief

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,464 Posts
Hold onto your volts, son, that’s not what the ruling means.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hold onto your volts, son, that's not what the ruling means.
"Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt signed an order on Thursday, Aug. 29 which will allow access of electric bikes on BLM land and in National Parks. This would effectively allow e-bikes onto any federal trail where non-motorized bicycles can ride.

"Reducing the physical demand to operate a bicycle has expanded access to recreational opportunities," Bernhardt wrote in the order. It continues, "E-bikes shall be allowed where other types of bicycles are allowed."

·
Registered
398 Posts
Darn, op ed beat me to it. Great News! I noticed that the AP story tried to freak everyone out by saying that ebikes were going to show up on hiking trails. That is blatantly false. Ebikes are only going to be allowed where bicycles are already allowed. I've never been to a Nation Park where bikes were allowed on hiking trails. It also might clear up some confusion in Zion National Park where ebikes were not even allowed on the highway with the cars. I think the BLM will have to give up their barbaric ban on ebikes on trails that are mostly in the desert. HA! I can see the anti-ebike mountain bikers in Southern Utah will have a total freak out. They go out of there way to hunt down ebikers that are on trails only used by mountain bikers.

https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/f...8RyaKpK73LC6eJWHjXyPYBqqp4dpT4BNJxYaro9Xl5Wmw

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
San Juan Trail in Cali is USFS, along with the rest of Cleveland National Forest. USFS isn't part of the order. That trail isn't friendly to any bikes, IMO...

Do you know if it is unaffected by the Holy Fire shutdown? Lake Elsinore side has truck trails signed as closed to any use until Sept 24 still.

Cliff notes of the legal stuff:

Order to the following: Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), National Park Service (NPS), Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Bureau of Reclamation (BOR)

"e-bikes" shall mean "low-speed electric bicycle" as defined by 15 U.S.C. § 2085 (Class 1/2/3 system).

"E-bikes shall be allowed where other types of bicycles are allowed; and E-bikes shall [be prohibited] where other types of bicycles are prohibited."

Exempt e-bikes from being defined as motor vehicles or off-road vehicles.

14 days to instruct the head of each department. 30 days for each department to reply with action taken, give a timeline to seek public comment on the changes. 30 days to provide appropriate guidance to the public on use of e-bikes on public land managed by these organizations.

NPS has already replied, complying to the order. Others haven't yet. USFS did plan their policy based on being consistent with other organizations, but I imagine they need some convincing to take action to change things up.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.