Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been against dropper posts but really never saw them as essential. Previously, I have been riding in Michigan where the trails are nice but the descents are not that long. I've therefore never seen the need for a dropper post as I'm almost to the bottom of the hill before I remember to activate it and it seems like a lot of effort to be constantly dropping it for short intervals.

We just moved to Arizona. Long climbs and long descents on some very sketchy and dangerous trails with big sharp rocks and spiky plants everywhere. I'm wearing out brake pads so I'm going to order a dropper post. This seems like a good time to do it. If I ever disparaged dropper posts I'm humbly sorry.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,029 Posts
It's the shorter descents where I want it more. If everything is just long descents/climbs, then time-wise it's no big deal if I lower it at the top, but when you got multiple reversals and the closer those are together, the more a dropper comes into it's own.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
I used to say that the shorter riders had an advantage in cornering. When we taller folk lean, we literally cannot fit between the trees in a corner - we have to stay more upright, which is inherently slower.

Then came the dropper...

-F

·
Registered
943 Posts
I've never been against dropper posts but really never saw them as essential. Previously, I have been riding in Michigan where the trails are nice but the descents are not that long. I've therefore never seen the need for a dropper post as I'm almost to the bottom of the hill before I remember to activate it and it seems like a lot of effort to be constantly dropping it for short intervals.

We just moved to Arizona. Long climbs and long descents on some very sketchy and dangerous trails with big sharp rocks and spiky plants everywhere. I'm wearing out brake pads so I'm going to order a dropper post. This seems like a good time to do it. If I ever disparaged dropper posts I'm humbly sorry.
Unless riding flat terrain, there's a need for a dropper everywhere. I actually think it's more vital on short but frequent climbs/descents.

You'll wonder how you rode without it, and it'll quickly become a necessity.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
I used to say that the shorter riders had an advantage in cornering. When we taller folk lean, we literally cannot fit between the trees in a corner - we have to stay more upright, which is inherently slower.

Then came the dropper...

-F
You really shouldnt lean your body anyways......the bike should lean.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Only time my saddle is all the way up is when I'm sitting straight upright and pedaling which is pa really small % of the time I'm on the trail even on easy pedalling XC trails. Most used position is what I would call my "trail" position which is about ~1" lower than all the way up which makes it easier to hover and pedal without the saddle kicking back into your fruits on rooty chunky pedalling sections but tall enough you can still sit and pedal maybe not with 100% efficiency but good enough.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,818 Posts
As a retro grouch (not really, but I've been riding since 89), it took me forever to transition to taking advantage of my dropper. Now, I totally miss it when I get on my race bike that doesn't have one. Colorado here, so the benefits are seen on pretty much every single ride.

In addition to the really steep stuff, the dropper is definitely useful when railing flat twisty stuff, like this:

Ecoregion Light Slope Rectangle Font

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,439 Posts
Still not sold. I've ridden with them on rentals in Utah and elsewhere. Definitely came in handy for that sort of riding. Really overkill for the majority of what I ride ~90% of the time along and near the US East Coast. Nope on my gravel bike either...

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Still not sold. I've ridden with them on rentals in Utah and elsewhere. Definitely came in handy for that sort of riding. Really overkill for the majority of what I ride ~90% of the time along and near the US East Coast. Nope on my gravel bike either...

Why is more range of motion overkill?

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.