Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
I loved the first run at the "big teeter"-you know anyone who has hit a teeter for the first time has that moment when they go, "hmmmm, is this really such a good idea?" Especially if it is skinny.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
jeffgothro said:
Can you imagine the skills that kid will have when he is a few years older? Insane!

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Tell me about it - he's only 8 years old, he'll probably turn pro before he hits high school. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
jeffgothro said:
Tell me about it - he's only 8 years old, he'll probably turn pro before he hits high school. :thumbsup:
Hell he will be pro before puberty at that rate! The back flip was sweet! No fear man!

·
Prone To Internet Drama
238 Posts
LAKESNAKE said:
How many stunts can you make with a 2x10.
This kid is an awesome rider/stunt builder/film editor.

Reminds me of how my passion started many many years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMl2jS0Y6Eg
Reminds me of our neighborhood 6 flaming trashcan street jump of twenty years past. We would make a ramp in the middle of the asphalt street about 4' high and 8' long, then add standing trash cans until someone bailed (not fun on asphalt at 25mph), then we'd stay at whatever number of cans we were able to make but light them on fire by pouring a little gas into the bottom of the can to up the ante a bit... good times for sure. It's a shame there was no YouTube back then, I had some truly crazy friends and all we did was ride our BMX bikes all day, every day.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mojavehanna said:
Reminds me of our neighborhood 6 flaming trashcan street jump of twenty years past. We would make a ramp in the middle of the asphalt street about 4' high and 8' long, then add standing trash cans until someone bailed (not fun on asphalt at 25mph), then we'd stay at whatever number of cans we were able to make but light them on fire by pouring a little gas into the bottom of the can to up the ante a bit... good times for sure. It's a shame there was no YouTube back then, I had some truly crazy friends and all we did was ride our BMX bikes all day, every day.

That's hilarious,
I think that's what really appealed to me about this video and reminded me of being that age. Just a kid obviously without any adult supervision, having fun with whatever is on hand enjoying his bike. In 75', a group of us "latch key" kids would would load up a few cans of beans, a cantine of water and head out on all day bike adventures while the parents were working. An unsupervised childhood was the best way to grow up. A lesson in the value of freedom that I will never forget. My "off road" bike was a schwinn 24" wheel 10 speed that I rode, jumped and crashed till I was old enough to drive a car.

·
Prone To Internet Drama
238 Posts
^ ^ ^ Thats what I dont get about kids today, when I was a kid staying inside the house and not being able to go riding was punishment. Of course we had no X box 360, cable TV, or whatever else they have now. We rode our 20" BMX bikes literally 10 - 15 miles in a day easily on weekends or summer break to go hit all the local homebrew MX tracks in the area. Thats where everyone would hang out, at their local home made track. It was the place to be in those days, there and at the race track on Thurs. nights and Sundays.

When I was 14 I converted my Race-Inc 24" racing cruiser into a 6 speed "mini-mtn. bike" so I could get up the steep fireroads above my house and put in 15 mile rides with my friends just to get into the mtns. for awhile. Just like you said, "freedom" from school, parents, adult supervision, etc... it was the best way to grow up for sure. None of my friends wanted to do much other than ride our bikes, that was it for us for many years.

·
Prone To Internet Drama
238 Posts
I had one of those. Thats what I did when I was sick or it was pouring rain outside... it never could have competed heads up with any of my bikes :thumbsup:

·
The White Jeff W
5,689 Posts
mojavehanna said:
^ ^ ^ Thats what I dont get about kids today, when I was a kid staying inside the house and not being able to go riding was punishment. Of course we had no X box 360, cable TV, or whatever else they have now. We rode our 20" BMX bikes literally 10 - 15 miles in a day easily on weekends or summer break to go hit all the local homebrew MX tracks in the area. Thats where everyone would hang out, at their local home made track. It was the place to be in those days, there and at the race track on Thurs. nights and Sundays.

Great post. I remember back in the 70's getting a new K-Mart BMX bike every X-Mas (couldn't afford the Mongoose I wanted) and going out in the snow when it was like 10* out & riding/freezing. :lol:
After a few years I started building my own bikes out of parts from the old bikes.

·
Prone To Internet Drama
238 Posts
jeffw-13 said:
Great post. I remember back in the 70's getting a new K-Mart BMX bike every X-Mas (couldn't afford the Mongoose I wanted) and going out in the snow when it was like 10* out & riding/freezing. :lol:
After a few years I started building my own bikes out of parts from the old bikes.
And so it began...

I like how you speak of "back in the 70's... could'nt afford the Mongoose I wanted". Thats great, I mean not for you back then obviously, but it made you who you are today. I dont think the current generation know the meaning of "cant afford it"... yet. I like yourself, heard that same prhase alot growing up, so did most of my friends, it was just the way it was back then. The only reason I had alot of nice bikes is b/c I had a dad who owned a LBS and I worked there after school and on weekends so I could buy my own bike stuff.

Its ironic how today as long as you still have credit you can afford anything...

·
Registered
348 Posts
What happened to the video from jeffgothro? I thought it was amazing and wanted to show it to someone who's scared for their ten year old starting mountain biking.

Edit: Sorry, looked it up on another computer and nothing was coming up. Must have been the net nanny at work!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts