Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to pull a trigger on the 2010 MOMENT to replace my 2005 Turner 5-Spot.
Now, I need your advise / inputs on what would be the best choice for the rear shock since
the LBS is asking me what would be my choice.
Will it be equipped with the New DHX RC4 if I opt for a Rear Coil Shocks? I also do not have any idea what spring rate for my weight. :D
What about the New DHX-Air (Boost Valve) or the RP23 Boost Valve?

In terms of travel. is it really 150mm? Or it is 150mm if equipped with the RP23?

I plan to put a TALAS 150mm Fork since I already have it on my previous bike and will just be transferring everything on the new frame.

Thanks and i hope you can give me some advise.

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
TNT-Spot said:
I'm going to pull a trigger on the 2010 MOMENT to replace my 2005 Turner 5-Spot.
Now, I need your advise / inputs on what would be the best choice for the rear shock since
the LBS is asking me what would be my choice.
Will it be equipped with the New DHX RC4 if I opt for a Rear Coil Shocks? I also do not have any idea what spring rate for my weight. :D
What about the New DHX-Air (Boost Valve) or the RP23 Boost Valve?

In terms of travel. is it really 150mm? Or it is 150mm if equipped with the RP23?

I plan to put a TALAS 150mm Fork since I already have it on my previous bike and will just be transferring everything on the new frame.

Thanks and i hope you can give me some advise.

Cheers!!!
If used for everything singletrack, including shuttles/drops/jumps, then I'd say DHX-A with the boost valve. The previous model DHX-A felt like it hammock'd in the middle of the travel for me; the new valving, I think, addresses just that.
If XC and Techy trail, Rp23 with the BV.
The RC4 if you want pure bliss, and don't mind alittle extra weight.
Decisions, decisions. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bpnic said:
If used for everything singletrack, including shuttles/drops/jumps, then I'd say DHX-A with the boost valve. The previous model DHX-A felt like it hammock'd in the middle of the travel for me; the new valving, I think, addresses just that.
If XC and Techy trail, Rp23 with the BV.
The RC4 if you want pure bliss, and don't mind alittle extra weight.
Decisions, decisions. :)
Thank for the Info on the New DHX-Air with Boost Valve. I also don't like the feel of the previous model DHX-Air. I hope they really tweaked those Mid Travel Harshness for 2010.
By the way, is it all 150mm for the 2010 Moment? Or it varies with the shock?
I heard someone saying that if it is equipped with the RP23 it is 150mm and if Dhx-Air or RC4 it is at 160mm. Is this TRUE?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think that is true but I thought you could get 160 from a RP23 if you get the right size. not sure about that.

I agree with the above. The old DHX A sucks on the moment so make sure the new one is better before you buy. To be safe you could run an RP23 if you want light and a coil if you don't care about weight as much, that would just take the unknown out of the equation.

Good luck

If you do get the air and it sucks, you can always swap out the can to the smaller chamber RP23.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jjcools said:
I think that is true but I thought you could get 160 from a RP23 if you get the right size. not sure about that.

I agree with the above. The old DHX A sucks on the moment so make sure the new one is better before you buy. To be safe you could run an RP23 if you want light and a coil if you don't care about weight as much, that would just take the unknown out of the equation.

Good luck

If you do get the air and it sucks, you can always swap out the can to the smaller chamber RP23.
I hope to hear some reviews here at the Forum on the 2010 Moment with the 2010 DHX-Air Boost Valve.I think the RP23 with the Big Canister even its Boost Valve will also feel the same with my previous RP23 on my 5-Spot that's why I got a Low Volume Canister for it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
TNT-Spot said:
I hope to hear some reviews here at the Forum on the 2010 Moment with the 2010 DHX-Air Boost Valve.I think the RP23 with the Big Canister even its Boost Valve will also feel the same with my previous RP23 on my 5-Spot that's why I got a Low Volume Canister for it.

Thanks!
I'm think as long as you're running a 7.875" eye to eye and 2.25" stroke, you'll get the claimed 6" travel with any shock.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spring Rate

If ever I choose the DHX-RC4, what would be the Spring rate (Lbs) for a rider on the 240lbs to 250lbs?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
915 Posts
The moment is actually 6.25 inch thats 157mm, according to an email I got from Ells tech department,
I emailed them because I thought it was a sticking point in my decision to purchase as the other bikes I was considering were all 160mm. Ells say they generalise for the american market and call it 6 inch (152mm). Its the same with the rogue which they advertise at 6 7 and 8 inches when that cannot possibly be the case as the shock strokes and ratios just dont work out to even inches.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bpnic said:
I'm think as long as you're running a 7.875" eye to eye and 2.25" stroke, you'll get the claimed 6" travel with any shock.
When I was checking the Ellsworth Website, the Moment on the page was using a RP23 and I guess a 140mm TALAS 32 Fork because its QR Type and not 15QR T.A. which is a 150mm in travel.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
TNT-Spot said:
When I was checking the Ellsworth Website, the Moment on the page was using a RP23 and I guess a 140mm TALAS 32 Fork because its QR Type and not 15QR T.A. which is a 150mm in travel.
I think any 140-160 mm fork'll work well, but I personally thought the 140mm Pike left the Moment "under-forked" a bit. Too bad for me, because the Pike is/was a fantastic fork. I dropped a little more coin on a u-turn Lyrik, and am in love.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ELKA, I just got one for my Rogue and will be putting some miles on it after the storms clear up. I will give a report on its performance next week. I think way better than a FOX!!!!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
locoriggs said:
ELKA, I just got one for my Rogue and will be putting some miles on it after the storms clear up. I will give a report on its performance next week. I think way better than a FOX!!!!
+1
A well dampened shock will make an unbelievable difference.
A friend has a TNT RFX with an Avalanche, and it is the most incredible bike I've ever ridden. But with an rp23, not so much. Still really nice though...:)
I'd put an Avy on my Moment, but they're like a grand.

·
Registered
915 Posts
TNT-Spot said:
The geometry stats are for a 20.5 inch (520mm) fork too that makes it a 150mm.fox 32

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nsynk said:
The geometry stats are for a 20.5 inch (520mm) fork too that makes it a 150mm.fox 32
Thanks for that info. Just want to ask your opinion. What will be the best match fork for the Moment? Will the Talas 150mm 15QR be good or it is still the 36 Model Fox Forks?

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
915 Posts
I think that would depend on your intended use and geometry preference.
The 36 has 10mm more travel but is 25mm taller axle to crown. Thats a full inch taller.

The extra height will slacken the angles by 1 degree taking it to just under 67 degrees, perfect for an all mountain bike. Most manufacturers spec 67 degree head angles on AM bikes, slack enough to be stable without being totally DH orientated. Steep enough to aid climbing and handling in tight twisty singletrack. In my opinion that is a plus point for the 36.

However it will also raise the BB by 1/4 inch. The moment already has a high BB at 14.2 inch according to the stats on the website. That is around 1/2 inch higher than most other companies and with the 36 you are taking it up to 14.4 inch maybe even 14.5 inch. that is really high. However theory and numbers are one thing and riding is another and the Moment does corner extremely well.

The 32 15QR will be lighter but more flexy than the 36 too.

I have a 36 talas and it is a great fork but it does not perform as well as a float and nowhere near as well as a vanilla. With the 32 you probably wouldn't need a talas as the head angle would be that bit steeper. I often run my talas in the 130mm setting all day, up hill and down hill. The bike handles well with the resultant geometry. With the 32 you would have that geometry but with more travel.

The 32 would match the rear travel closer if it is 150 or 152mm the 36 if it is 157mm, depending on which report you read.

The ideal fork would have the stiffness of the 36, the weight of the 32 the head angle of the 36 and the bb height of the 32. With the 36 talas you can achieve all bar the weight (but not at the same time). So I went for the 36 talas.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
I'll bet the RC4 on the moment is magic. loved the DHX on mine.
That said I do have a friend with a DHXair and he really likes it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nsynk said:
I think that would depend on your intended use and geometry preference.
The 36 has 10mm more travel but is 25mm taller axle to crown. Thats a full inch taller.

The extra height will slacken the angles by 1 degree taking it to just under 67 degrees, perfect for an all mountain bike. Most manufacturers spec 67 degree head angles on AM bikes, slack enough to be stable without being totally DH orientated. Steep enough to aid climbing and handling in tight twisty singletrack. In my opinion that is a plus point for the 36.

However it will also raise the BB by 1/4 inch. The moment already has a high BB at 14.2 inch according to the stats on the website. That is around 1/2 inch higher than most other companies and with the 36 you are taking it up to 14.4 inch maybe even 14.5 inch. that is really high. However theory and numbers are one thing and riding is another and the Moment does corner extremely well.

The 32 15QR will be lighter but more flexy than the 36 too.

I have a 36 talas and it is a great fork but it does not perform as well as a float and nowhere near as well as a vanilla. With the 32 you probably wouldn't need a talas as the head angle would be that bit steeper. I often run my talas in the 130mm setting all day, up hill and down hill. The bike handles well with the resultant geometry. With the 32 you would have that geometry but with more travel.

The 32 would match the rear travel closer if it is 150 or 152mm the 36 if it is 157mm, depending on which report you read.

The ideal fork would have the stiffness of the 36, the weight of the 32 the head angle of the 36 and the bb height of the 32. With the 36 talas you can achieve all bar the weight (but not at the same time). So I went for the 36 talas.
Really appreciate your inputs. Thanks Nsynk! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts