Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempted to convert a new bike to tubeless today. For some reason air is leaking at the valve stem on both wheels. I tried two different types of stems and no luck. Any idea what is causing the problem? Thanks in advance.

FYI- I posted this first in Wheels and Tires forum. No replies.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Attempted to convert a new bike to tubeless today. For some reason air is leaking at the valve stem on both wheels. I tried two different types of stems and no luck. Any idea what is causing the problem? Thanks in advance.

FYI- I posted this first in Wheels and Tires forum. No replies.
Which valve stems are you using? The come in different shapes and some fit better on different rims. However, i've gotten even salvaged valve stems from spent tubes to work if you tighten them down enough.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Incorrect. They are marketed as tubeless ready. The factory tape did not adhere to the rim... Again worthless.

For the record I stripped their tape and was able to get the rear to work with gorilla tape, a Stan's valve, and Stan's sealant ("ghetto tubeless"). Front is still a no go, though I have a non Stan's valve. Will try next weekend. Meanwhile several hours lost.

And as I mentioned this isn't my first tubeless set up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have Novatec Diablo rims that I setup tubeless. I had the same problem you had trying to get the stem to stop leaking. I figured out on mine that the hole for the valve stem on the tube side of the rim, was too small for the tubeless valve stem to seat properly. I drilled it out and they now work like a champ. Might want to take a look at that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think I drilled it out to the size of a Schrader valve stem on just the inside of the rim. I didn't go all the way through. I left the outside hole alone. ( just want to be clear) If you look at the tubeless stem after you put it in, you can see it isn't seating. I measured the tubeless stem diameter with a set of calipers and went slightly over that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.