Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an unbuilt 355 rim. I measured the brake track width at 9mm. Kool Stop pads are about 7mm wide new, and 9mm near the base. I am concerned because my Avid Ultimate brakes do not have linear push. I worry that if the brakes are set up properly to hit the rim, they may rub the tire when the brake is released. I also wonder if it's a problem if the bottom of the pads are extending a touch below the bottom of the brake track.

Has anyone had trouble with the brake track on this rim? What brake-caliper and brake-pad and tire-width and brake-lever combination are you using? (The lever is relevant due to cable-pull length--when the brake is released.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's tight, but not impossibly so. I've run mine with both XTR and SD7's, both with XTR levers. With both sets of brakes I think I've had to readjust the pads a bit more than usual, but never had any real issues.

Now, on those rims the sidewalls appear to be outrageously prone to being dented, but that's another topic.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear

Dr. Paul Proteus said:
It's tight, but not impossibly so. I've run mine with both XTR and SD7's, both with XTR levers. With both sets of brakes I think I've had to readjust the pads a bit more than usual, but never had any real issues.

Now, on those rims the sidewalls appear to be outrageously prone to being dented, but that's another topic.
Have you used the SD7's with any tires that are a true 2.1 or bigger? (The reason I worry about tire rub is that I use Paul levers, which I think have a lot of cable pull.) Do bad things happen if the bottom of the pads start going a couple millimeters below the rims?

BTW--I think the ztr 355's are not nearly as prone to denting as the olympic rims are--because the olympic bead-lock is entirely bent over---and of course the short sidewalls help strength as well. Tell me why you're worried about denting.

Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jesseg said:
Have you used the SD7's with any tires that are a true 2.1 or bigger? (The reason I worry about tire rub is that I use Paul levers, which I think have a lot of cable pull.) Do bad things happen if the bottom of the pads start going a couple millimeters below the rims?

BTW--I think the ztr 355's are not nearly as prone to denting as the olympic rims are--because the olympic bead-lock is entirely bent over---and of course the short sidewalls help strength as well. Tell me why you're worried about denting.

Thanks.
I've only run 2.1 Racing Ralphs on mine, so no I haven't run anything really big. I have noticed my pads down below the edge of the brake track once or twice (not just on my Stans rim either) & just readjusted them so they were back where they belong. So long as you catch it before the pad is unevenly worn I can't imagine it being an issue.

I say they are prone to denting because my one ZTR rim has more dents in the sidewall than all the other rims I've ever owned combined - and I've only had it about 3 months now. Other than that, it's great. I went with the yellow tape & the small valve. Tires seat & inflate no problem. Even with the myriad of dents in the sidewall (some straightened better than others, that short sidewall makes getting the rim back right pretty tough) everything stays inflated fine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dr. Paul Proteus said:
I've only run 2.1 Racing Ralphs on mine, so no I haven't run anything really big. I have noticed my pads down below the edge of the brake track once or twice (not just on my Stans rim either) & just readjusted them so they were back where they belong. So long as you catch it before the pad is unevenly worn I can't imagine it being an issue.

I say they are prone to denting because my one ZTR rim has more dents in the sidewall than all the other rims I've ever owned combined - and I've only had it about 3 months now. Other than that, it's great. I went with the yellow tape & the small valve. Tires seat & inflate no problem. Even with the myriad of dents in the sidewall (some straightened better than others, that short sidewall makes getting the rim back right pretty tough) everything stays inflated fine.
Have you mostly run your xtr calipers or Avids? Do the xtr's make it much easier, or is it not much different? Your denting experience versus other rims is really useful feedback. I'm curious about how much you weigh versus what tire pressures you're using with those Ralph 2.1's. I went out mountain biking on my (mt bike) cyclocross setup with twister supersonics at 33 and 35 psi, 165 pounds, and dented both (bontrager) rims (in a fixable way) but didn't flat--which amazed me because I'm new to tubeless and because those tires are so flimsy. But I'd been getting away with significantly less with other tires so I thought I'd be OK. What have you been using to un-dent your ZTR's?

Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
XTR's mostly, but I'm likely going to put the Avids back on as think I like them a little better. I'm 150ish, run my tires ~35 give or take a few psi depending upon conditions. When I notice a dent in the sidewall, i use a handy bar clamp with plastic jaws to grab a hold of the rim and GENTLY bring it back to being mostly straight. I think I'm up to 6 or so dents in the sidewalls of my rim. FWIW, I've only had two other dented rims before & both of those were more or less catastrophic whereas the dents in the Stan's rim have been relatively minor - in fact if I were running disc's I wouldn't even bother trying to fix them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dr. Paul Proteus said:
XTR's mostly, but I'm likely going to put the Avids back on as think I like them a little better. I'm 150ish, run my tires ~35 give or take a few psi depending upon conditions. When I notice a dent in the sidewall, i use a handy bar clamp with plastic jaws to grab a hold of the rim and GENTLY bring it back to being mostly straight. I think I'm up to 6 or so dents in the sidewalls of my rim. FWIW, I've only had two other dented rims before & both of those were more or less catastrophic whereas the dents in the Stan's rim have been relatively minor - in fact if I were running disc's I wouldn't even bother trying to fix them.
Nice. I love my ultimates, although they're a bit portly compared to a few other offerings on which I could save 50+ grams per wheel. The pads that come with Avids are made by Kool Stop I think. And in addition to being thinner than the Shimano pads, they are more powerful. In fact, if you wanted, you could see how your xtr's do with those pads. Has the rim bent inward or outward or both?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.