Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to convert my commuter bike's Mavic A719 rims to tubeless with a NoTubes 29'er kit hasn't gone well so far. The Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 studded tires (wire bead) that were on the bike so far haven't worked. A WTB Allterrainasaurus (wire bead) filled right up on one wheel, but the other wheel hasn't worked with this combination. Lots of tries.

It doesn't seem like there is anything missing from the NoTubes directions. An added rim strip didn't change anything either.

If anyone has experience with NoTubes or a similar setup, thanks for sharing.

Wheelheart

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
What do you mean, doesn't work? You can't seat the bead?

Use an air compressor and also try wrapping one of those ratcheting tie down straps around the circumference of the tire to get the bead to seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, thanks for the response.

You're right, the bead will not seat. The tire just doesn't take the air. Have tried wrapping two ratching tiedowns around the tire (like the inflatable tire straps that we had in the garage where I worked as a teenager), but that seemed worse if anything.

Also, after reading posts here, tried an extra rim strip under the Stan's strip, which felt tighter under the bead, but still same results. My compressor doesn't have a tank - is that a serious shortcoming?

The one tire that is on will leak from 80 psi to about 50 psi in a day. Is that normal? It could be a real drawback on a commuter. My mountain bike has UST tubeless tires, and the rear will go down 15-20 psi after a day, but it doesn't matter because it gets ridden for a few hours and can easily be aired up the next rime.

Are wide 700C pressures (80-90psi) too much for a Stan's setup, because of blowoffs? That's what the tires and rims handle with tubes, although I did have a blowoff filling a new tube with a CO2 cartridge.

Thanks again for any additional feedback. I'm staying away from cars sliding in the snow for the moment, but want to get back to the commute soon.

Wheelheart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.