Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I've used before nonUST rims with Notubes kit for tubeless conversion, and true UST rims (Shimano 785). However, now I've got Shimano MT66 and this one has UST profile, but also has nipple holes. Originally it came with white adhesive ~20mm-wide rim tape, but under the tape were some crappy plastic caps, plugging the nipple holes, sticking out, and making inflation impossible. Had to remove the tape to get the caps out, and the tape isn't reusable. LBS sold me 2blissReady rimtape (non-adhesive), and it worked for a couple of months, but rim suddenly started to leak now (air comes from vent holes). Took the tyre off, and in couple of places the tape is all bunched up to one side in folds and creases - not good.
I had a good experience with stans rim tape before, and wouldn't mind use it, but what size should I get - is 12 mm enough to securely cover nipple holes, or should I get 21mm, as the shimano's original? any thoughts?
many thanks

·
Registered
817 Posts
I like using tape wide enough to go from one bead hook all the way to the other. That way the tire is always on top of the tape. With tape just wide enought to cover the spoke holes you could accidently push it to the side if the tire caught the edge of the tape, or using a tire lever.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this is what I thought too, but wanted to check.
In case of tubeless conversion this is less important, since there is the rubber rim strip to cover the tape, but I was concerned about the case where the rim tape is exposed. OK then, looks like 21mm wide tape would be just right.
Many thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion! I did notice that people use 3M strapping tape 8898 or Gorilla tape with good results, unfortunately, none of these products is available close to me. But, tape is tape, I decided to try some adhesive tapes I have around the house. My best attempt so far is 3M transparent tape, probably designed for some craft, school and office use - 3 layers of it. Few hours later, the tyre still holds the same pressure, might take it for a spin tomorrow. I do not expect this tape to last long, and it's glue may be dissolved by sealant, but if it last a bit, till Stan's rim tape arrives, that would be great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts