Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I treated myself to one Notubes aluminum rotor (darn things are expensive!). I live up in BC, Canada and ride in wet conditions regularly; I would imagine the disc surface may wear out faster in the rear where it gets more muck. I tend to bang up and warp more front rotors though... decisions...decisions...

For xc racing, where would you choose to use it? Front or rear wheel?
Thanks!

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
I've been racing Notubes rotors(I have 1 first gen, 2 new gen)since 02. No question for me, I run it up front only, with a smaller steel 140mm rear. The front is more on/off, which leads to less of a chance for alum rotor destroying heat buildup if conditions are right for such. I also use the rear alot for control(trailing it thru the apex while still pedaling which helps minimize/control front end push under excelleration). I think the rear could overheat more easily since we sometimes have very long steep descents here as well(Appalachain mtns) to compound things. I can regulate the front more easily then the rear on such.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Depends. I raced a very wet 34 mile point to point TT just 2 weeks ago. Yes they sqealed some, but only once in awhile, and only at first. ..then they were silent(the first Gens were way worse tho).

If its really bad tho, I run steel at both ends.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Stans....no power

I ran the new stans alloy rotors on my XTR disc brakes last summer....front and back.

They appeared to have lots of braking power however I live in Manitoba and the descents
are short.

Then I went to B.C. for the Canada cup race circuit and realized how little power they have. I was using 2 fingers pulling as hard as I could all the way down and still couldn't lock up the wheels!

I thought maybe the pads were warn too much when I installed the rotor so I ordered a new front stans rotor and kool stop pads and installed them at the same time and followed break in instructions. They had slightly more power but still not enough.

Im running Martas this year so I will try a stans rotor and see if it will have enough power.

I may still run stans rotors for manitoba races and flat national races and then switch to steel for the mountains.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
I've heard the same from a teammate that tried them late last season. I think he was running XT hydros, but could be wrong. Dunno how they are now for him. I've been using the older first gen green pads(the only ones you could use with the older first gen rotors) on the newer 2nd gen rotors. They feel great to me, working better then the old 1st gens for sure. Maybe slightly less power from the steel, but thats about it. I've yet to try the new Koolstops...(I have some waiting to be installed in both the Formula B4 Pros and Hayes Mag. as soon as the 1st gen pads wear out, which is taking forever).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.