Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy and I went out to MMP to ride the race loops this morning and to ride some of the bikes they had out there for the Trek/Gary Fisher demo. We got there at 9 and the Trek guys said they would be starting at 10, they had to set up and some stuff. We decided to go out for the long loop and we would be back in time to be one of the first in line for a demo bike. Or so I thought. A few miles in through a little rocky downhill I had a pinch flat on my rear wheel. I knew my tires felt soft before we took off, so it serves me right not to check them. We stopped to change out the tube and we were off a few minutes later. The tire felt soft again so I stopped to give it a couple of more pumps of air. I got a little too aggressive with the hand pump and ripped the valve stem. I was out of tubes but my friend had one but it was a presta valve and my rims are shraeder. He rigged it up with one of the old tubes cut up and wrapped around the valve stem, put air in it and we were off. Tire felt better than last but still a little soft. My "buddy" took off worried that we would have to wait forever to ride a demo bike since we had taken so long already. So I was riding along nice and slow trying to avoid all the rocks on the rigid ss and not pinch flat again, but yep it happened. I was all alone and no more tubes or a hand pump as he had taken off. I just walked the few miles back to the lot pissed and ready to call it a day. My friend was in line and ready to ride. I went to get my ID to get a bike and found my pocket was unzipped and the wallet was not there, I had forgotten to rezip the pocket after one of our stops. :madman: My buddy got a demo bike and I rode his again around the long loop to look for my wallet. No success. So I had a long morning of fixing flats, walking and searching the trail, not what i had expected from a Sunday ride.

Long story short, If anyone finds a brown leather Volcom wallet on the long loop out at McDowell, let me know, I would appreciate it.:)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,873 Posts
skicey said:
my friend had one but it was a presta valve and my rims are shraeder. He rigged it up with one of the old tubes cut up and wrapped around the valve stem, put air in it and we were off. Tire felt better than last but still a little soft.
Sorry about your wallet. Just fyi, you can use a presta tube in a schrader rim no problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did end up running the presta tube, he had just wrapped some of one of the old tubes around it to prevent the play in the valve stem hole. Either way, it didn't make my fortune better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 26" bike is tubeless and I love not worrying about pinch flats. Still need to get 29er ss tubeless wheels, I think that should be my next upgrade, found out the hard way today.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I I was your friend, I would have at least siad I was "riding in to get some tubes for you" then stall as long as I could hoping you would get in quickly while I stood in line.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He isn't that witty. One of the Trek guys called me yesterday after I had canceled my cards saying that someone turned in my wallet. I got it back but no cards are valid anymore. Told my wife she isn't getting anything for valentines day because I have no way to pay.:D

·
skilldest©
439 Posts
skicey said:
He isn't that witty. One of the Trek guys called me yesterday after I had canceled my cards saying that someone turned in my wallet. I got it back but no cards are valid anymore. Told my wife she isn't getting anything for valentines day because I have no way to pay.:D
FANTASTIC!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
That is a brilliant ruse! My anniversay is on the 20th and I want to buy a 24" cruiser for myself. Thats it- if anyone "finds" my wallet on Deems tonight please do not return it to me until the 21st. Thankss!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.