Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please stop ruling wth an iorn fist. you guys are erasing threads left and right. just post a reply letting us know what was wrong with the thread or the post, then lock the thread. it does no good to just disapear threads. people who don't notice the missing thread will just make the same mistake as the first poster did. just the lock button, not the delete one. please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
I agree, sometimes.

However, there has been at least one thread recently that needed to be deleted, as it had no place here.

There are some threads that can just be closed. I understand your point.

The mods for this board are comtbiker12 and downhillfaster. PM them if you wish. Personally, I feel that they are doing a bang up job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
this will be locked or deleted soon..
they dont care what you think, there still gonna keep doing it.

try pming them.
 

·
Don't skid
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
.downhillfaster. said:
Can I ask which thread in particular you're complaining about? I didn't erase anything yesterday that wasn't SPAM, I don't think Tony did either. Give me an idea of what you're complaining about, and I'll give you a reason why it was dumped.

DHF'r
Hey mod. That is exactly what this guy is talking about. How about you give us some idea of why you are deleting a thread so people will know what not to do. Your policy seems to be the other way around. All we are asking is that you let people know BEFORE the thread is deleted.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
I don't know if it was racist, but...

RobsterCraw said:
This is the guy that posted the link to the racist gunnuts elsewhere on the interweb. Good delete, mods.
It was definitely worthy of deletion as it was totally non-bike related, and it was one of those types of OT posts that understandably rubs many people the wrong way. Not trying to be PC here, just realistic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Zedro deleted many, many more threads on a daily basis than .dhf. and COmtbiker12 are deleting. He was very quick on the trigger.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
Zedro, that facist dictator!

shiggy said:
Zedro deleted many, many more threads on a daily basis than .dhf. and COmtbiker12 are deleting. He was very quick on the trigger.
Only now does the truly evil, heavy-handed, brutality of Zedro become evident....LOL! Ya know...I kinda miss the guy. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
Stop whining people.

The moderators are doing a great job eliminating the off-topic posts.

But why is it okay to post a link to a classified ad? It shouldn't matter if someone paid $2 for an ad. Mention of an item for sale does not belong in the DH/FR forum. Period. If someone is interested in buying something, they will browse the classified ads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
WheelieMan said:
But why is it okay to post a link to a classified ad? It shouldn't matter if someone paid $2 for an ad. Mention of an item for sale does not belong in the DH/FR forum. Period. If someone is interested in buying something, they will browse the classified ads.
Exactly. I was going to say something like that, but I didnt't. :p Just because somebody is advertising their bike in the MTBR classifieds does not mean that they can post it in any forum. If there is going to be SPAM, all of it has to be deleted, regardless of whether or not they have an ad on MTBR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was just thinking of a horse thread that was recently locked. i agree, my OTness was out of hand. i understand that being deleted. but the thread were news came up that the owner of the dead horse was taking it to court or something, trying to get bikes banned, was locked. and people had just started to organize. thats what i was wondering.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Also feel free to consult the posting guidelines, as these are the rules that we follow.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
MTBR.com Message Board Posting Guidelines
(applies to all message board posts, avatars, signatures, profile information, and anything posted on our message boards)

Our mission is to help mtn. bike enthusiasts and foster a healthy community. The message boards are the core of our community. As a result, we would appreciate it if people read and abide by these guidelines.
The Mtbr staff and volunteer moderators monitor the message boards, removing inappropriate content. The purpose of these guidelines is to explain what kind of messages are "inappropriate," and therefore will be deleted. We are explaining these guidelines beforehand, so if a message is removed everyone will understand why it was removed. In general, we err on the side of leaving messages up. The entire site is premised on sharing product information, so as one might imagine we are strong proponents of free speech. That being said, here are some specific reasons why we remove certain messages:

The message insults or degrades another member of the community.
The message contains profanity, offensive language, or racial epithets.
The message is an advertisement or spam.
The message contains obscene or pornographic images/photos/text/videos.
The message promotes illegal activity (at our discretion).
The message has been posted to more than 2 boards. Posting the same message to multiple boards is spam, and all posts may be removed and the user may be banned. Please post to the most relevant board only, no more than 2.
The message is posted as "flame-bait" and is posted to incite flames and insults.
In addition to #3 above, please do not post Classified Ads/Want Ads/Trade Ads in the message board forum. Please post these in our Classifieds Section.

Threads that keep getting "bumped" back to the top with "hey, bumping this post back up" type posts will be locked. If you do not have anything new/informative to add to the post, please do not attempt to "bump" a thread just to keep it at the top.

A note about avatars and signature files: Inappropriate/obscene or distasteful avatars may be removed by us at any time. You may also be asked to change your avatar, should we deem the avatar to be inappropriate. Please do not post ads for bikes or parts in your forum signature, they are NOT allowed.

Also, users registering multiple accounts and posing as different people is NOT allowed and one or all of your accounts may be banned without warning.

Unfortunately we must reserve the right to remove messages. However, we truly love this community, so we will only remove any given message if we judge that it's in the best interest of the community. Please feel free to ask questions or direct comments to us.
Sincerely,

Gregg Kato, Site Manager
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
649 Posts
Sudo said:
i was just thinking of a horse thread that was recently locked. i agree, my OTness was out of hand. i understand that being deleted. but the thread were news came up that the owner of the dead horse was taking it to court or something, trying to get bikes banned, was locked. and people had just started to organize. thats what i was wondering.
One deleted thread and you think they are ruling with an iron fist??
Surely you have better reasons or examples to warrant starting a whinge thread like this?
IMO they have done exactly what was needed to be done on this forum, well done mods, i for one appreciate your work! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the info impy. i realize that i was in the wrong. what about having those rules put into a thread and stickied at the top of each forum. b/c i know i've never seen that anywere.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,006 Posts
Stop whining people.

The moderators are doing a great job eliminating the off-topic posts.

Maybe you guys could send a quick note to the offender on why you are deleting the post
 

·
Cynical Bystander
Joined
·
6,770 Posts
.downhillfaster. said:
First of all, I wouldn't normally respond to this type of post, but lest anyone think that Sudo has a "point" in his complaint, here's the real story.

About 4 threads have been deleted in the past day or so. All of them were SPAM, either links to ebay or flat out advertisements for people selling their bikes or parts. Those have to go, it's the rules, a $2 classified ad is not too much to ask for someone to pay, and then you can link to it in a post and it will remain on the forum in it's own post if you wish. So to say we are deleting posts left and right is just not true.

But, I couldn't figure out what you meant, so I scrolled back a few days in the deleted posts log, and realized that you were the one that started the "Gansta Shootin' Style" thread, which contained a link to a Guns & Ammo forum where a bunch of ******** were talking about shootin African americans, off color photos & jokes, and just all around NBR crap. So, here's the problem. #1, it's off topic, has not even the slightest relevancy to this board, so it could have just been closed & ReCycled. But, it's not only racist, it's inflammatory - my PM box and email were full from people complaining about the thread, and Tony's as well (I assume), since he beat me to deleting it. If you really think that post & content was so funny, might I suggest that you just join that forum & have at it.

So the bottom line is, if you think that post/thread was "OK" for this forum and was just to get a good laugh out of, think again. Let me know you don't agree, either here or via PM, and we can have further discussions about it. We're not just sitting around trying to censor people and delete threads because we can - this is a private forum and there are rules that you have to follow. We've been very hands off this past week, and I think the other 99% of MTBR members would agree that this place has cleaned up tremendously in the past month or so.

If ANYONE has any problems with this, the rules, questions, etc., feel free to either PM myself or Tony, or even PM our boss Gregg, and I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss any issues of perceived over-moderating with you.

DHF'r
Excellent post Eric, I completely agree. :)
 

·
Cynical Bystander
Joined
·
6,770 Posts
Sudo said:
thanks for the info impy. i realize that i was in the wrong. what about having those rules put into a thread and stickied at the top of each forum. b/c i know i've never seen that anywere.
There is a link to them next to the Search button on the top of the page.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
well said.

.downhillfaster. said:
First of all, I wouldn't normally respond to this type of post, but lest anyone think that Sudo has a "point" in his complaint, here's the real story.

About 4 threads have been deleted in the past day or so. All of them were SPAM, either links to ebay or flat out advertisements for people selling their bikes or parts. Those have to go, it's the rules, a $2 classified ad is not too much to ask for someone to pay, and then you can link to it in a post and it will remain on the forum in it's own post if you wish. So to say we are deleting posts left and right is just not true.

But, I couldn't figure out what you meant, so I scrolled back a few days in the deleted posts log, and realized that you were the one that started the "Gansta Shootin' Style" thread, which contained a link to a Guns & Ammo forum where a bunch of ******** were talking about shootin African americans, off color photos & jokes, and just all around NBR crap. So, here's the problem. #1, it's off topic, has not even the slightest relevancy to this board, so it could have just been closed & ReCycled. But, it's not only racist, it's inflammatory - my PM box and email were full from people complaining about the thread, and Tony's as well (I assume), since he beat me to deleting it. If you really think that post & content was so funny, might I suggest that you just join that forum & have at it.

So the bottom line is, if you think that post/thread was "OK" for this forum and was just to get a good laugh out of, think again. Let me know you don't agree, either here or via PM, and we can have further discussions about it. We're not just sitting around trying to censor people and delete threads because we can - this is a private forum and there are rules that you have to follow. We've been very hands off this past week, and I think the other 99% of MTBR members would agree that this place has cleaned up tremendously in the past month or so.

If ANYONE has any problems with this, the rules, questions, etc., feel free to either PM myself or Tony, or even PM our boss Gregg, and I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss any issues of perceived over-moderating with you.

DHF'r
I knew that he was the one with the "Shooting" post, and that it was deleted. Apperently we need a refresher on web forum rules (as if they are not basically the same on any forum.) to keep some in check. (like me with my CPU mouse avatar, sorry people)
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top