Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Minute 1 feels really notchy not very smooth. I noticed it when I directly compared it to a Talas my friend was riding. Its a 04 but it has the 05 Evolve damping. Anyone have any tips to getting it to feel a little more buttery.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Check the oil levels...

Sometimes they don't have all the semi-bath in there causing stiction. I finally decided that whenever I get a new Manitou, just pull it apart and change all the oil right out of the box, just to make sure everything is up to par.

Also, they take a while to break in, usually longer than the suggested 20 hours. Give it about 40 hours, then pul it apart, change all the oil again and it should be like butter.

The SPV is very tempermental when it comes to oil heights, so measure carefully.

·
Registered
981 Posts
How long have you ridden the fork? And how old is your friend's Fox fork.

I've had my Minute 1 2004 model for 3 weeks now and only now beginning to feel the smoother stroke.

SPV takes a little time to experiment and setup properly. How much do you weigh and how much SPV air pressure are you running? Is the red SPV volume adjuster turned in to reduce the air chamber too much?

In order for SPV to function as designed, proper oil levels need to be maintained in the SPV leg. The specs listed in the Manitou service manual is wrong. It should be 83mm from the top of the opening once the top cap is removed.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I agree with the others. My Min1 was a bit harsh at first. But after the initial rebuild and oil level fix it was much better. My semi-bath oil had turned to jelly and the SPV oil was way too high. Check the service manual and search the archives for more details. The stock TALAS is a bit too linear and dives like mad. At least my 04 TALAS did before I got it fixed my PUSH Industries. Between the stock TALAS and a properly functioning Minute 1, I would rather have the Minute.

·
Registered
264 Posts
artsn said:
My Minute 1 feels really notchy not very smooth. I noticed it when I directly compared it to a Talas my friend was riding. Its a 04 but it has the 05 Evolve damping. Anyone have any tips to getting it to feel a little more buttery.
My 2005 M1 seemed overly stiff to me until I took out the booster spring. I'm about 160 lbs and I typically ride with a pretty heavy backpack (mostly solo rides in unforgiving terrain). I didn't check my sag before removing the booster, but now it hits the manual numbers perfectly. I run the SPV chamber at full volume and 30 psi. Now I really like this fork.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
kAZ has found the same as I have. I weigh 160 lbs, maybe 170 lbs with full pack etc. I have a Minute 1 on my SS rig and have the chamber volume almost maxed out, with 40 psi in the chamber.

for a geared rig that I was able to climb in saddle more than standing, I'd come down to 35 or maybe 30 psi in the SPV chamber.

the 40 psi lets me climb out of the saddle without losing power to fork compression.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm going to try a bit more SPV pressure. I'm liking standing up to climb now with the M1. It did occur to me that this fork would probably suit a SS perfectly.

So does anyone else get the klunk sound for side loads? I get it a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.