Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
| just bought a new Trek 4300 and its a low end Cross Country bike. I started riding harder

stuff and my bike cant take the hits i want to do. I dont want a really extreme freeride

bike just something for XC and doing small north shore stuff and medium sized drops. vI

found a 2004 Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 for 1600 Canadian. im wondering if i should buy this or

go for another similar bike like a trek liquid or something else.

·
Registered
121 Posts
wow... thats a huge jump in price and in bike from what you have. if you aren't doing any drops bigger than ten feet you really don't need a dual and you could save a bunch of money or get better stuff. I ride a P2 which for me can freeride and do XC stuff but i'm only 5'9'' and a taller person might not be able to XC on it. Also i've done tenish foot drops with no problems except for some hurt wrist when i don't land perfectly. If you are going over ten feet drop wise i'd probably go dual but there aren't alot of places to do drops over ten feet anyhow. I also prefer a hardtail while doing "northshore" type stuff but thats just my prefrence. I think hardtails are just easier to throw around (ie doing 180 endos off of things, side hopping, trackstanding, wheelieing, and dirt jumping). My advice to you is to baby that trek and sell it. Get a beefer hardtail. I rode a rockhopper for many years and did 5-6 foot drops and even bmx style jumps (i also ride bmx)... so i'm a fan of the hardtail cuz it makes you become more of a smooth rider. However if you see yourself in a year or two doing Very large drops (10+ feet) i guess i would go with the dual.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.