Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there isn't really a forum for this topic I guess, but I have seen Brooks saddles more on SS' than any other bike. I broke my rail on my Brooks, my local shop got a warranty replacement set of rails sent to them, but they don't feel comfortable doing the rail swap. Brook's website doesn't seem to have instructions on how to do this. I put in an email to them but not sure when I'll here back. Has anyone done this themselves and can offer instructions/tips on replacing the rails?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Find a different shop.
I once slipped on my duplex's rear wooden steps while walking out for my bike ride, plastic clipless soles don't do much for traction, and the nose of my B17 popped off the tension bolt. I took it in to my LBS and even though they were perplexed they took to it as a challenge and told me to come back after a bit. I don't know how they fixed it, but I just needed to adjust the tension using the bolt and it was softer but good as gold. I think the shop should have inquired about this themselves for you. If they were unwilling to make the swap, the option should have been given to you to send it to Brooks. Now, you got a busted saddle with new rails and no help from the those that should know more than you about all things bike. Perhaps, you should email some other local shops and inquire if they can or at least would be willing to help. Whichever LBS responds positively should from then on become your LBS. Sorry about the saddle, I hope your tush will receive it's friend in due time.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Brooks saddles have the leather riveted to the back of the frame/rails. Your LBS probably isn't equipped to do the repair. I know for an issue like that we have to send the whole saddle back to them to have it fixed.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
You need to buy a new set of copper/steel rivets from Brooks, drill all of the rivets out of the current top, install them, and then use an anvil to hold the rivet head while you use a peening hammer to lock the rivet in place from the rear. If you replaced them with copper heads, you'll need to carefully flatten the rivets on the top of the saddle, taking care not to damage the top as you flatten them.

*edit*

There is a sequence you need to follow that I forgot about. Attach the nosepiece first, thread the tension nut all the way down the bolt, insert the bolt through the nose, and put that assembly on the rails. The cover should be loose enough that you can slip the rear rivets in place and peen them over. Tension the saddle to your desired feel.

*/edit*

If you are even a little bit concerned that you might be in over your head, you or the shop can send the saddle back to Brooks, who can repair it for you. Particularly old shop hands may have some experience fixing leather saddles, and if all else fails, you can try to find a leather worker (such as that at a horse tack shop) that is willing to work with you.

The only way to preserve your warranty would be to have Brooks or one of their authorized people repair the saddle.

I would also add: it's going to be expensive to pay someone else to do it, the process takes at least 30-45 minutes for someone who has done it or similar work before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts