Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Not sure if this is a brake issue, fork issue (fox factory 34) or something else.

Two rides ago I noticed that I was getting some brake noise/rubbing of my front rotator ONLY when I was really applying heavy torque to the peddles, like while climbing hard. Doesn’t occur if I’m on flat ground and peddling hard though so it’s almost like I’m getting flex somewhere.

Doesn’t happen if I hold the front end up and spin the wheel. Doesn’t seem like there is flex/play in the wheel or hub (NOX carbon and DT 350).

Only thing that I have noticed recently is that when I spin my front axle in and then flip the quick release to lock it that the release is easier to flip than it was months ago (ie not as tight when clicked where it needs to be) almost like the axle needs to be adjusted etc. but again nothing seems loose when it’s tightened down and no play in the axle/hub.

Bike is a carbon Pivot Mach429 trail. Brakes perform the way they always have

Anything I should be worried about, adjust (I know the fox forks have an adjustment for the quick release axles so they will clock correctly) something else I should look at?

Thanks
J-

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,876 Posts
disc brakes make noise under torque sometimes. normal

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
It sounds like you're saying that you hear the noise as you apply torque, and think the front brake/disk is the source as a result of lightening the weigh on the front end. The only way I can think of this happening is if the front axle did, indeed, have some play in it. But you already ruled that out.

Is it possible you're hearing something from the headset? Kind of a stretch if it's a "rubbing" sound. Or maybe it's actually coming from the bottom bracket. Front hub, spokes? I've had weird sounds come from ill tensioned spokes under load changes.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I used to have that on technical climbs, where the position of the handlebar would cause a force sideways on the front wheel, and that would make the wheel slide a little inside the fork, making some "clickey" noises. I fixed by applying more torque to the skewer. Eventually would need to replace the skewer, but I sold the bike before that.

Seems to me you have the same problem. To be sure, I'd buy an axle without skewer (that has a torque value) to rule out the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.