Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm NOT selling this bike; in fact, I'm trying to talk my brother OUT of selling it, or I may just buy it myself:

It's a 1991 Fisher SuperCaliber, with a Manitou 1 and the original rigid fork. Silver painted (not chrome) aluminum frame with teal fork. Suntour components -- I'm not sure which group - XC Pro maybe, or XCD? Anyone remember these bikes?

It's absolutely pristine, maybe 300 miles on it. He doesn't think it's worth anything, but I'm telling him it's a collector and he should hang onto it or sell it to me.

Am I right, or is it nothing special?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
tell him he's right, that it's not worth anything. Then offer him $25.00 and take it from him......

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stan4bikes said:
tell him he's right, that it's not worth anything. Then offer him $25.00 and take it from him......
Yeah, that's plan B, but I'm hoping to talk him into hanging onto the thing, because I don't really need it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bushpig said:
Probably not worth much. Not much of a collector market for Fisher. I am guessing it would do maybe $300 on Ebay.
Ouch. He's got someone who offered him that much for it. I was hoping the original Manitou would give it some additional value, but I guess not. Oh, well. Thanks for your appraisal!

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
pinguwin said:
Any thoughts on why this might be the case?

'Guin
Cause Gary invented mountain biking, you would think folks would be falling over each other, trying to get to the nearest Trek dealer :D

To the OP, if it's XC Pro, you'd make a few more bucks parting it out on eBay, but 3 bills sounds about right for a full bike.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
To the OP, if it's XC Pro, you'd make a few more bucks parting it out on eBay, but 3 bills sounds about right for a full bike.
Thanks, Mendon. Turns out it's XC Comp, anyway... sounds like if he can get $300, he should take it!

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Because Fisher's were mass-produced for starters, and also the supercaliber was a mid-range model which used an Easton Varilite aluminium tubeset and that stuff doesn't exactly have the greatest fatigue lifespan. I've owned three 91 Fisher's myself, the supercaliber, the procaliber and the CR-7, and all had that cursed press-fit BB too. Anyways the supercal was $1109.99MSRP in 1991. Getting $300 for it now would be someone paying a lot.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DeeEight said:
Because Fisher's were mass-produced for starters, and also the supercaliber was a mid-range model which used an Easton Varilite aluminium tubeset and that stuff doesn't exactly have the greatest fatigue lifespan. I've owned three 91 Fisher's myself, the supercaliber, the procaliber and the CR-7, and all had that cursed press-fit BB too. Anyways the supercal was $1109.99MSRP in 1991. Getting $300 for it now would be someone paying a lot.
Ah, yes. I had the 1988 CR7 - sweet riding bike, but it, too, had that lousy "cir-clip" BB retainer with press-in bearings. Plus, the thing broke at the chainstay/BB. I didn't realize they had kept the same BB design for that long. Dumb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.