Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
what have you used to base your geometry from? I've got an idea for a 29er based penny farthing but I'm not sure how to come up with a head angle. Proper size pennies are very steep but must end up with a fairly normal trail figure (I've not worked anything out to confirm this though) so this makes me think that going for a fairly 'normal' 29er head angle would be a fairly sensible bet.

Looks really cool though, can't wait to see it finished

Matt

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol the cat knows where it is safe.
He's deburring his claws.

what have you used to base your geometry from? I've got an idea for a 29er based penny farthing but I'm not sure how to come up with a head angle. Proper size pennies are very steep but must end up with a fairly normal trail figure (I've not worked anything out to confirm this though) so this makes me think that going for a fairly 'normal' 29er head angle would be a fairly sensible bet.

Looks really cool though, can't wait to see it finished

Matt
I pulled it off some pics I found online. The HTA is 84 and the rake is 0. I get 3" of trail just through the wheel size and HTA.

Thanks, Joel

·
Registered
571 Posts
Too cool Joel, a penny has been on my to do list for many years, but alas, don't make no money building for yourself :)

Looking forward to the finished product...gonna hop it up with some styling paint or go traditional dark colors?

cheers,

rody

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too cool Joel, a penny has been on my to do list for many years, but alas, don't make no money building for yourself :)

Looking forward to the finished product...gonna hop it up with some styling paint or go traditional dark colors?

cheers,

rody
Thanks, it'll just be black. I will use some modern components, though, like a 1.125" threadless headset and road caliper brake.

More pics: Ordinary Bike - a set on Flickr

Rear foot peg:

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Machine Tool

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Joel that's awesome! Where'd your wife find the wheel?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Joel that's awesome! Where'd your wife find the wheel?
The rim and tire came from Paul Rust at Rocky Mountain High Wheels | Penny Farthing Bicylces | Ordinary Bikes | Old Time Bikes | Machine Shop

I believe he buys straight rim stock and rolls them himself. I just ordered spokes from him as well. They're 14g stainless and I'm curious to see what the ends look like. I'm guessing he buys stock from DT or Wheelsmith and cuts and rolls threads. We'll see.

Thanks, Joel

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
The rim and tire came from Paul Rust at Rocky Mountain High Wheels | Penny Farthing Bicylces | Ordinary Bikes | Old Time Bikes | Machine Shop

I believe he buys straight rim stock and rolls them himself. I just ordered spokes from him as well. They're 14g stainless and I'm curious to see what the ends look like. I'm guessing he buys stock from DT or Wheelsmith and cuts and rolls threads. We'll see.

Thanks, Joel
Oh, for some reason I had the impression she'd scored an original/antique wheel. Funny thin about that link is that I have the frame of one of those (complete with busted fork) hanging in my shed. :D

·
Registered
599 Posts

Thanks, Joel
Velocity actually hand rolls these rims for him in very small batches (think he said 12).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.