Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone.

I have been using a new Fox 34SC 120mm fork on my Santa Cruz Blur and have noticed that even after rides including several drops and hard hits, I still only seem to use about 80% of my travel even though I have it set to 25-30% sag already and I am already below the recommended PSI range for the fork as printed on the sticker.

The fork was originally 110mm though before I upgraded the airspring so I am not sure how that will come into play here.

The fork isn't feeling overly harsh but I am sure it could be better if I was able to more efficiently make use of at least 115mm on hard hitting rides.

I've toyed with the rebound to not much effect either, having noticed very little difference between the slowest and fastest rebounds aside from difficulties controlling the bike due to traction loss through chunk.

I am pretty sure that my fork came pre-installed with at least 1 of the volume spacers. I don't have the know-how or tools to open it to check without bringing it back up to the shop.

Is this something that removing or adding a spacer might resolve? I like a firm fork but I also like one that opens up for the big impacts as well.

Is there something else I can try? I wouldn't say I am a very aggressive rider and I tend to unweight the fork when I can since it's a XC bike and the geo isn't friendly enough to lean into it.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Removing a volume spacer will make it less progressive, allowing you to use more travel. Easy to do. Bleed the air, unbolt the top cap, remove the spacer. You just need the correct socket, or make one (file down a socket). Or a shop can do it in minutes.

If the suspension feels great, but you aren't using all of your travel, that means you probably have it setup right and just have too much travel for your use.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If the suspension feels great, but you aren't using all of your travel, that means you probably have it setup right and just have too much travel for your use.
re-iterating this post. Ignore travel used if it feels good. It means you aren't riding hard enough / you don't need that for your terrain.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Sounds like removing the spacer would be a good idea and maybe bump the pressure back up a smidge BUT as others said using all of your travel shouldn't necessarily be a target if it is working well otherwise.

Also, a "hard hit" isn't always going to be the highest spring force you put in to a fork, so you just may not have encountered the right situation to use all the travel. High speed hits create more damping which slow it down while something like a g-out or drop in to a deep compression puts much more load on the spring at a slower shaft speed ie less damping resistance.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If your fork was factory 110mm travel it had 3 volume spacers stock. 120mm forks come with 2 volume spacers. So I'd check to see if you still have the 3 and remove one, should make a difference. FWIW, I'm 165lbs and running 74psi to get 20% sag with 2 volume spacers on my new 2020 120 34SC. Fork feels great, I'm using 110-115mm travel on drops and jumps.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all I'll try removing a spacer then and seeing how it fares.

When I say that it rides well I also mean that it's not perfect and I feel that it might be better with more plush but I wouldn't know to compare. If it rides less nicely without a spacer or two then I'll just put them back in.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's counterintuitive but if you are running too low a PSI and higher sag the fork can feel harsh. With too much sag the fork is in a more progressive part of travel and will feel stiffer off the top than with less sag. Once you remove a spacer, I'd reset your PSI and start around 20% sag to see how it feels.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's counterintuitive but if you are running too low a PSI and higher sag the fork can feel harsh. With too much sag the fork is in a more progressive part of travel and will feel stiffer off the top than with less sag. Once you remove a spacer, I'd reset your PSI and start around 20% sag to see how it feels.
Is it true that doing what you said plus reducing HSC (if possible) will allow for using more travel?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Makes perfect sense, will do!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.