Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after test riding a bike with i9 wasp shawm hubs - I was starting to get a headache. I'm wonder what other hubs are less annoying to but still offer good engagement?

I've heard DT with 54 ratchet upgrade is pretty buzzy as well. I know there are "silent" hubs out there as well, but I don't want that either.

What do you guys recommend? Planning new wheels for both my MTB and gravel bikes.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Project 321 is light, very low rolling resistance, and they have a silent option that is nearly silent but still makes a very light noise.

I have had a set since they were a new product and considered the high end options for a new wheel build (DT180, Vesper, Torch) but decided to go with the same product again, Project 321 as I feel they offer the best balance of features.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
You can quiet down the DT Swiss hubs by adding a slightly heavier shmear of grease to the ratchets. As the grease degrades over time/riding they will get slightly louder but I have never felt they were annoyingly loud like I9s or Kings. Other option would be the lower engagement ring on the DT Swiss, wont necessarily be quieter but would be a different decibel of hub sound.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
My Hadley hub is quieter than the I9s most of my friends ride with.
My Hope hub is a little quieter than my Hadley.

I can usually hear my Hadley hub over the noise of tires on gravelly dirt.

I usually hear tires over my Hope hub.

Both go nearly silent for about 10-12 rides with a few drop or two of pfte lube in the pawls, as Hadley recommends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
My XTR is pretty quiet, but not silent. Its really a beautiful hub too. Only 36pt, but thats about all I can fault it for. Might have the nicest bearings on the market!

White industries are 48pt, titanium fhb, beautiful in appearance and quality, and quiet.

My pro4 is LOUD. I'm not sure if some people have weaker springs in their hopes or what, but If im coasting its too loud to have a conversation over.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,834 Posts
White Industries. Very pleasant middle of the road noise.

The new Industry Nine Hydra hubs aren't as loud as the Torch series. You can also add a bit of grease to the pawls to quiet them down a bit, unlike the Torch hubs which only oil was recommended. The new Hydra's use leaf springs as opposed to coil springs in the Torch series.

Hadley is pretty quiet with some oil in there. You can remove the bath oil and it will be a bit louder, it's still not super loud though.

I had to sell my Hope Pro4 because it's the loudest thing on Earth.

Project 321 is pretty quiet, almost silent, with the "quiet" pawls. Again, you can remove the oil bath and it will be a more medium sound, but still pretty quiet.

I think White Industries fits the sound profile you're asking for the best. Nice hubs, especially for the money.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Hold on Goldilocks, don’t give up the awesome engagement and performance of those i9’s just yet! Wipe out the oil from the drive ring and slather some Dumonde Tech PRO X Freehub Grease in those i9’s and they’ll quiet right down. They’ll gradually get loud again, but it takes quite awhile (proportional to the amount of grease you use) and it’s easily remedied by a quick cleaning with a rag/cotton swab and re-greasing of the pawls and drive ring.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Anyone notice how different wheel builds affect how loud a hub can be?

I had a Hope on a Mavic rim, and it howled like nuts. Even had almost a ring to it, like the spokes (they were generic) were harmonizing. I now have a Hope on a WTB rim with DT Swiss spokes. No scientific measurement, but it seems to be half as loud.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have had I9's for a season now, I kind of like the noise. It reminds me that I'm not pedaling enough. When the situation calls for not pedaling, I'm focused on something technical and don't really pay attention to the sound.

The 54T ratchet on DT Swiss does make some noise but not as loud as the I9 Torches. The noise on the DT Swiss is not uniform throughout the rotation. It issort of like RRRRRrrrRRRR. This is normal, but I've had people ask if it meant there was a problem. I think it may have something to due with the uneven tension of the spiral springs pushing the ratchets together.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
My first move would be to invest <$20 on Dumond Tech Pro X freehub grease and apply that to the ratchet & pawls. It makes a huge difference.

If still unhappy, then look to replace with any of the above suggestions. I can attest that Hydra is significantly quieter than Torch, although Torch with grease is much quieter than Torch with the stock oil

I have both Hydra & Torch and have used both the grease & oil extensively. The Hydra/Grease combo is pretty quiet.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,613 Posts
I have Hope Pro 2, I9 Torch, and I9 Hydras in the fleet.

From loudest to quietest, it's Hope > Torch > Hydra, with Hope the loudest by a notable margin.

I have noticed some subtle differences in hub loudness depending on the build differences. I have Hydra classics in a 29er config, with alu rim and mine are quieter than some other Hydra wheels I've encountered on the trails (I'm local to I9, so their wheels are everywhere out here, in many different permutations).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.