Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any one out there ever seen anything like this before. This is a koko dogbone which was replaced on a frame(warranty intact, never crashed, one year old) that Yeti insists is straight. I was also told to stop bothering them. I dont get it!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
MOO said:
Any one out there ever seen anything like this before. This is a koko dogbone which was replaced on a frame(warranty intact, never crashed, one year old) that Yeti insists is straight. I was also told to stop bothering them. I dont get it!!
Never really pad much attention to the straightness of the dogbones. But also never had a warranty issue with them.

What did the original one look like? Could it be that the dogbone on the koko is supposed to be machined that way? Does the new one fit correctly?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
joltz said:
Never really pad much attention to the straightness of the dogbones. But also never had a warranty issue with them.

What did the original one look like? Could it be that the dogbone on the koko is supposed to be machined that way? Does the new one fit correctly?
The dogbone should be totaly symetrical and it was when I got the frame. After a while I noticed a slight misalingnment of the frame which has got worse over time. The new replacement dogbone will end up the same way in time.

As for the warraty issue. I wrote to the local yeti rep asking him how a straight frame can cause a dogbone to bend. His and Yetis response was,
" I once again remind you that it was Yeti that took the final decision that your frame is fine, they have kept this position even after receiving the pictures of your old dogbone."

No kind of technical explanatinion was supplied.

I must add that this is still the best bike I have ever ridden.! This is a frustrating situation.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
MOO said:
The dogbone should be totaly symetrical and it was when I got the frame. After a while I noticed a slight misalingnment of the frame which has got worse over time. The new replacement dogbone will end up the same way in time.

As for the warraty issue. I wrote to the local yeti rep asking him how a straight frame can cause a dogbone to bend. His and Yetis response was,
" I once again remind you that it was Yeti that took the final decision that your frame is fine, they have kept this position even after receiving the pictures of your old dogbone."

No kind of technical explanatinion was supplied.

I must add that this is still the best bike I have ever ridden.! This is a frustrating situation.
Did you contact Yeti directly through the website? It may also be worth a phone call. Everytime I have ever contacted them about issues, questions or to order bushings they have always been totally cool and very helpful. Has Yeti actually seen the frame in person?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
joltz said:
Did you contact Yeti directly through the website? It may also be worth a phone call. Everytime I have ever contacted them about issues, questions or to order bushings they have always been totally cool and very helpful. Has Yeti actually seen the frame in person?
I dont live in the USA and yeti relies on the local rep for information before making a decision. The rep here made a mistake. Fellow riders, bike store owners and whoever looks at the frame can tell there is a problem. After a number of emails including two conflicting opinions directly from yeti I received this.
"Please reframe from sending e-mails to the warranty department." (Note the spelling)

How this is normal I don’t know and the lack of response from yeti as to how the dogbone bent is very worrying.

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
Fwiw

For myself, being fat and downright abusive to my bike, I have bent quite a few dogbones in my day. I never try and warranty them, because of my riding style. You may be entitled be entitled to a new dogbone, but that's hard to tell with a picture.

It's hard to see bent frames even if you have a messed dogbone and/or bent rear tri, and even with measuring tools it can be difficult. Typically, the dogbone gets jacked and the rear tri is just fine. It's designed that way, to prevent you from breaking a more expensive part. If your rear tri is bent and your dogbone is too, you'll blow your shock up and ruin the bushings within a hundred miles of riding. My question is this: "Does your bike track in a straight line when you ride with no hands on a flat surface?"

Just looking at the picture, the bearing mounts look flush to me and though the machining looks off, the mounts look symmetrical, but I only did that with a ruler against a flat panel monitor... how accurate can that be?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bonkey said:
For myself, being fat and downright abusive to my bike, I have bent quite a few dogbones in my day. I never try and warranty them, because of my riding style. You may be entitled be entitled to a new dogbone, but that's hard to tell with a picture.

It's hard to see bent frames even if you have a messed dogbone and/or bent rear tri, and even with measuring tools it can be difficult. Typically, the dogbone gets jacked and the rear tri is just fine. It's designed that way, to prevent you from breaking a more expensive part. If your rear tri is bent and your dogbone is too, you'll blow your shock up and ruin the bushings within a hundred miles of riding. My question is this: "Does your bike track in a straight line when you ride with no hands on a flat surface?"

Just looking at the picture, the bearing mounts look flush to me and though the machining looks off, the mounts look symmetrical, but I only did that with a ruler against a flat panel monitor... how accurate can that be?
The problem is not the replacement dogbone. With the dogbone removed the eyelets at the end of the seatstays are different distances from the seatpost. The rear wheel (checked for dishing) is slightly off center. I weigh 79kg and spend most of my time going up hills, the only abuse going on here is to me. I am sure this could all be solved if yeti would have shown more interest in my case. As I said they rely on the opinion of the local rep, who messed me about for a year and has since gone out of business. I will have to start the process all over again.
If it were only me who thought there was a problem here I could accused of being biased, but professionals from the industry agree that there is a problem here that needs to dealt with. I have been advised to sell the bike and move onto another manufacturer but I will say it again that this is the best bike I have ever ridden.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
justen said:
It shoud? Why?
The new dogbone is symetrical the old one was but is not now.

To the best of my knowlage the rear suspension should work in a straight line with the frame and there should be no lateral force on the dogbone.

·
www.yetifan.com
722 Posts
I've never seen or heard of that?

the dog bone should line up with your seat stays, IE, if you take it all apart, do you have to 'push' the stays/dogbone/shock to get it to line up?

Yeti have a good warranty on their bikes, its a shame your dealer went AWOL ,as if your law is like our law here, your contract is with the dealer, and they should fix any problems.

Yeti seem to be pretty good at sorting the few problems I hear about, but there is always one of 2 that slip the net. Maybe an email to them will help? could just be a bent chainstay or something?

Andrew

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yetifan said:
I've never seen or heard of that?

the dog bone should line up with your seat stays, IE, if you take it all apart, do you have to 'push' the stays/dogbone/shock to get it to line up?

Yeti have a good warranty on their bikes, its a shame your dealer went AWOL ,as if your law is like our law here, your contract is with the dealer, and they should fix any problems.

Yeti seem to be pretty good at sorting the few problems I hear about, but there is always one of 2 that slip the net. Maybe an email to them will help? could just be a bent chainstay or something?

Andrew
I do have to push it to get it to seat properly. The rear triangle was replaced at the dealers expense but did not solve the problem. The thing that gets me is that I emailed yeti many times, I received two answers from two people at yeti. One stating the frame was misaligned and needed to be checked the other stating that the frame was within tolerance. The fact that I was told to get off their backs and stop contacting them is unacceptable for a company of their stature. This was before the dogbone went out of shape. I requested an explanation and got an answer that the frame is fine. HOW ON EARTH CAN IT BE! If there is any doubt that there is a problem here they should provide a professional answer or explanation which after a year I have still not received. A very sad state of affairs to say the least from a company which strives to make the best bikes in the world!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.