Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Keep in mind carbon is very strong but it does not like impact. Crashing carbon can break it just like it can bend or dent metal. Mine is better.:eekster:

·
monster member
1,157 Posts
This makes me wonder... are carbon parts more brittle in the winter? Maybe some of us in northern climates should be swapping out some carbon parts with cheaper aluminum parts for winter riding?

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Warranty won´t take care of that? :confused:I mean, if the saddle doesnt even look like it has crashed (something I can´t tell from the pic) I would go and say "just snapped" Wich is half true, by the severity of the crash you expose "Went down on ice, not hard"). Zero remorse.

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Curious, what kind of seat post are you using? If it is an offset type clamp, it could create enough force in a fall to cause a clean break. Just think of scissors. If it is a seatpost with symmetrical opposing sides, the seat carbon rails may have been able to handle the impact a bit better.

·
KevinK
531 Posts
O.k., that's probably one of the best clamping systems for a Carbon Rail seat. That must have bee a REALLY hard crash. Hope your doing o.k.!

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,920 Posts
No CF isn't more brittle during cold weather... at least not down to temps seen while riding bicycles. CF is actually one of the more temperature neutral materials, otherwise they'd never be using the stuff to make spacecraft from (the wing leading edges of the shuttle for example are a carbon-carbon composite structure and they see extreme heat as well as extreme cold).

I have a friend, he bends saddle rails... regularly... regardless of material. Ti rails, CrMo, oversized steel on jump saddles.... bends them all. He's never snapped one though, but I suspect if he went with CF he might be able to actually kill one that way too.

·
monster member
1,157 Posts
DeeEight said:
No CF isn't more brittle during cold weather... at least not down to temps seen while riding bicycles. CF is actually one of the more temperature neutral materials...
That's cool, just wondered.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts