Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean,it's not bad but I can feel the fatigue on 2 hours and plus long rides. Any valid alternative ?? It has to be Specialized,I'm quite sold out on BG technology,very happy about my Henge on the Stumpy.
What about Phenom Expert ? Does it come with some extra padding ??

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a Syntace Hiflex seatpost to see if that will improve comfort a bit over longer rides. It comes in the 30.9mm size to fit a Specialized frame.:)

Eurobike 2011: Syntace's New Carbon Post With Built-in Flex - BikeRadar

For a Specialized saddle you could consider one of their saddles in the Gel version. That might help a little.

Romin Evo Gel Comp saddle
Specialized Bicycle Components : Romin Evo Comp Gel

Phenom Gel Comp saddle
Specialized Bicycle Components : Phenom Comp Gel

If you're happy with the Henge on your Stumpjumper FSR then you could always put one on the Epic as well.:)

·
Is not amused
3,205 Posts
I just switched from the henge to the phenom comp gel. The henge was 143mm and after getting measured I fell in between the 143-155. So I purchased the 155mm sense I have wide hips as well. How long have you had your saddle? Is the angle adjusted correctly and were does it sit on the rails? I would say get measured if you haven't, its free. Also side note from what i've heard is that you can exchange your saddle with another (same price match) for free if your not impressed under specialized warranty. Don't really know the difference of the phenom comp to the phenom gel but from the henge which wasn't gel to the phenom gel it was night and day.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Phenom

I have a Phenom Elite on my MTB and have not had any problems. 2.5 to 3 hours is probably the longest I spent on it. I had a Fizik that came on my bike and was too narrow. I now ride a 155. Did you get measured for the saddle ? Most people that see me would thing I can fit any
saddle. I'm 145 lbs @ 5"9" the average saddle is narrow. If your not on your sit bones you may have alot of your weight on soft tissue which can cause pain or numbness over time.
I also have another Phenom waiting at the LBS for my Cross bike.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for your suggestions.

No,I haven't been measured for the saddle,I've received the bike in it's box shipped by my dealer from the mainland as I live on a island and getting "all things bikes " gets a bit complicated all the time. I should take a 3 hours drive to our main city but it's not worh it,I'll wait for my next weekend in London and see what they can do at the Specialized Concept store. My saddle is 2 weeks old anyway,8th ride is due today.
The Henge on my Stumpy is 143 mm...the damn thing is a massage for my buttocks,I'm in love with that.

·
West Chester, PA
5,007 Posts
I have Avatar experts on both my bikes and I love them. Good padding but light weight. Good center relief.

I tried a Romin expert last year and returned it after 1 ride. Way too stiff.

The web site says the avatar has a "stiff" shell but I've found they have have quite a bit of flex after a short break in period. Glad I bought mine last "year" - they raised the price on the seat 20% ($100 to 120) :eekster:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I've shifted the saddle position a bit more forward today and that improved things a lot. Besides seating better and covering most of the saddle's seating surface available even the general body position improved ,I'm more towards the "xc cross-country" type of position now rather than a "xc race" type of position,it seemed I had more control on the downhills aswell. Tomorrow a long and flat pure xc ride is due,I'll see how things will go.
Saddle is still on the "hard" side anyway,I see myself going with an Henge or a Phenom Gel in the future,possibly the Phenom as of my nevrotic need to keep everything stock on my bikes...:p

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I give up. 60km of hardcore ride today,my butt is badly beaten and I can feel "ants" in my perineal area. I'm done with this saddle,switching to the good Henge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I love my Phenoms so much I have them on five of my seven bikes. The others have a Specialized Toupe Gel and a Henge.

I don't like the Henge as much. Now to be fair, these are the older split rear saddles...not the 2012.

Each saddle fits like a shoe. I couldn't stand my fizik saddles.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I love my Phenoms so much I have them on five of my seven bikes. The others have a Specialized Toupe Gel and a Henge.

I don't like the Henge as much. Now to be fair, these are the older split rear saddles...not the 2012.

Each saddle fits like a shoe. I couldn't stand my fizik saddles.
What didn't you like about the Henge compared to the Phenom?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.