Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not enough dealer support for 650b?

When I inquired about the new 2011 Haro 650b Beasley, this is the email I received

"No new 650B models will be added. NOt enough support from dealers to
warrant continuing them."

Come one let's get the wheel rolling people it's an awesome wheel size and Haro was one of the only big names to offer both a complete hard tail as well as a 5" travel full suspension bike. I understand times are tough so lets show some more interest in the in between just right wheel size. Att: Sram, Fox, and all the other big players in the bike industry who don't currently offer anything 650b related..

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Went to another shop that carries a lot of boutique brands- they are almost 30% 29er sales now so no way they will carry anything 650B related. Personally, I'd take a 650B over a 26er any day but I have to throw my wanton spending habits behind the 29er to support that size more. The 650B is up to you all. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
im a tall rider, 6'3 and really like a 650b better than a 29er just for the simple fact that most trails i ride are tight twisty single track with lots of sharp switch backs and most 29ers fail in this area. the problem with 650b is none of the big names are making them. im talking trek/fisher, cannondale,specialized. jamis,khs and haro are the only 3 that i know of that are a familier name that offer a 650b. a jamis rep told me last fall that IF their full sus. bikes get some good sales this year that they may offer a good aluminum hardtail 650b for 2011. well i havent read anything anywhere on the web about how much people love their new 650b jamis or haro for that matter. i hate to say it but if some big name doesnt step up and offer a TRUE 650b framed bike its not gonna last. most of the 650b hardtails ive ridden are just old 26' inch bikes with bigger wheels on them making it feel like you are towering over the bike (khs included) the geometry on a 26 inch bike frame isnt right for a 650b wheel in my opinion. if you guys look on the jamis web page at the dakota dxc pro, my bike shop said if they made the rear chain stay long enough to fit a 650b wheel/tire that frame would be a killer 650b frame. like i said i think 650b is a great platform but it needs to be done right bye a big name company(politics) for 650b to survive. im just sayin!!!

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
Well that doesn't surprise me with Haro, they're poorly distributed in canada as is, and few dealers bother with them outside the hybrids, bmx bikes, and the Masi road brand (which Haro owns). I know of some dealers locally who ONLY ordered Haro to keep their Masi accounts. I was all set to go with launching my store with them as the main brand but lack of finances to get the store going in time this spring has that plan on hold till next year.

In this town, the dealers who carry 29ers push them ridiculously, and the ones who know of 650B aren't going to cut into their 29 sales by offering another wheel size.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
I don't think anyone who can really move the 650B trend will throw their weight behind it. We may see some custom HTs and of course forks from WB but beyond that, it will take a committment from someone like Fox to get the bike manufacturers into it. Fox is currently not even remotely interested.

·
maindude
24 Posts
Marketing?

Maybe the shops want to ride that 29er trend by convincing many of the 26" folks they need a new 29er. After most get 29ers in the next couple of years they can come back and convince people they need a 650b to generate more sales. It is kind of like Apple and Microsoft in the tech world. I like to think we 650b folks are just ahead of our time. ;)

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Maybe in some case but these guys were tellling me that they became a Niner dealer since people were calling asking for them. Now that others are making 29ers, they have several brands (SC, Intense, Pivot, EW, etc.) they sell them fast too. They recently invested in 5-6 FS 29er demos and a few Niner HT demos. All the XC racers I saw come in before their training ride were on HT 29ers. It's a pretty big deal around here. A lot of riders are talking about 29ers. My buddy (a pretty diehard 26er Racer) is now talking about a 29er since the top riders he sees are riding them....mostly 29er HTs.

Like I said, there is zero doubt I'd prefer a 650B over a 26er but even I am smart enough to know that the thousands I spend on 29ers just furthers that wheelsize. I think in two years, I'm on my 6th new one, seventh to come. I can only bet on one horse right now and it has 29" long legs. Bike sales result in fork/tire sales and development. At the rate I'm going, I'm surprised the economy is faltering. :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel the 650b wheel size is ideal for someone such as myself who barely feels comfortable on most medium sized 29ers, riders under six feet tall and for those who ride tight trails and want a faster bike. Also, the small 29ers I've seen and ridden just look and feel too awkward.

·
Rhino
567 Posts
Davidcopperfield said:
yeah, but 27,5" is just a slightly bigger 26er just a tad 25mm so what?
Check this thread 584mm 650b sucks badly, not enoughbigger than 26". What magic do you see there? It's not even close to 29er rolloverability.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=631399
I wear size 10.5 shoes. If I wear 11 they are too big and sloppy. If I wear 10 they are too small and tight. I wear 10.5 and if fits perfect.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Davidcopperfield said:
yeah, but 27,5" is just a slightly bigger 26er just a tad 25mm so what?
Check this thread 584mm 650b sucks badly, not enoughbigger than 26". What magic do you see there? It's not even close to 29er rolloverability.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=631399

Meh , your opinion is inconsequential . Why don't you go troll the 29er forum , where they don't care what you think either .

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point, Urbanseeds, bikes are like shoes, we choose whatever fits us the best and not all of us like the one size fits all approach. I mean you can wear big clown shoes and get more traction and stability however you'll be tripping over everthying. Why should riders be limited to only two wheel sizes.

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
djembe975 said:
When I inquired about the new 2011 Haro 650b Beasley, this is the email I received

"No new 650B models will be added. NOt enough support from dealers to
warrant continuing them."
That's too bad. So are they dropping the 650b size entirely? Sorta sounds that way.

The market-timing may be wrong. 29ers seem to be catching on now like wildfire in a drought. Everyone's attention is focused in that direction.

Haro's pricing is awfully high too, imho. Over $1000 for a single-speed? That's untenable when you can find 29er single-speeds for $600 or less.

I do hope the wheel size survives. I've already invested some in it. Over the long haul, I hope to do more.

·
noMAD man
12,112 Posts
I still have the probably somewhat "Polyanna" idea that all/most 26" bikes could/should be made to run 26/650B wheels tires interchangeably. Maybe a crazy concept, but I like the options this would provide for 26'ers with huge tires, 650B front and rear, 650B/26 front/rear combos, etc. 650B is big enough to make a difference without throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Some full suspension designs make rear fitment of a 650B impossible as they stand now, but obviously no concerted effort has been made by those designers to accomodate a slightly larger wheel. Also some of those same designs don't allow a very big 26" tire to fit either, so you can kill two birds with one stone. And I don't buy the frequent commentary about really huge 26" tires being as big a normal 650B. This isn't a viable argument IMO. 26" tires as tall as a normal 650B are almost without exception extremely heavy. The couple of super large 26'er tires that I've seen that are "relatively" light are super easy to puncture on rocks and such. I'm not running huge paper-mache 26'ers just to get height. I'll stay with my relatively bulletproof NeoMoto 2.3's, thank you. I run tubeless and only tubeless, so I want a tire with some structural integrity.

But hey...we're just talking here...except for DC who's just babbling as usual.:p

·
No Clue Crew
7,171 Posts
Just have to say, after spending a fair amount of coin last year to build a 650b, I personally didn't care for it. Actually, to rephrase, I hated it.

For the technical stuff I ride in AZ, the 650b size wasn't as nimble/flickable/poppable as a comparable 26er and didn't have the stability/rollover/technical climbing capabilities of a 29er. In other words, for me, it was the worst of both worlds.

I did like the Neomoto tires, though. ;)

If the size works for you, great. I think it's going to be a tough go to mainstream this size, though. Not the least of which, as you guys are seeing, there's no shop support for it.

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
TNC said:
And I don't buy the frequent commentary about really huge 26" tires being as big a normal 650B.
I agree. I do not buy that argument either. What if I want really huge 650b tires? Those will then be larger than really huge 26er tires.

For that matter, I can argue that really huge 26er tires come awfully close to approximating certain 700c tires that I have in my house.

Keeping the tire width constant, 700c is larger than 650b is larger than 26-inch. Generally speaking.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Quite a bit of speculation here about the worthiness of 650b. Just as some like 26" or 29" 650b is a descent compromise for some. If you haven't ridden a 650b and have something really negative to say you are talking out you a**.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts