Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok all, I've been reading these forums (the whole site actually) for a while now, and figured it's time I get inolved. I tried doing some searching, but it's hard to pinpoint my exact question, so forgive me, I'm sure most of you are sick of reading this age-old question over and over, but for the sake of the new guy, please help!

I ride a Trek 4900, It's fairly new, and I've only had a chance [financially] to add a couple of things, so aside from pedals and seat, everything's stock for now. The bike has Bontrager Jones ACX - 2.2 front and rear. I haven't had any major gripes about the tires, don't like them as much as my old WTBs and Specialized-s, but they aren't bad.

Well now my girlfriend has picked up a bike - Trek 7.1... urban/fitness bike, so now that I'm riding with her, I need a tire tha is good for when I hit the trails - hardpack/loose and also when I cruise the asphalt with my girlfriend.

I've been turning ovr a variety of tires, WTB Exiwolf & VelociRaptors, Keda Karmas & Nevegal, Geax Barro Mountain & Saguaro, etc., but I'm obviously up for any and all suggestions.

Much thanks!

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
The Exiwolf is a good on/off road tire. The Velociraptor is not. Both are soft compound tires so they're gonna wear fast on pavement. I'd probably stay away from a big knobby tread for pavement. Take a look at the Hutchinson Python (New Generation Airlight). Harder compound & tread similar to the Exiwolf. Fantastic on hardpack & rolls good on pavement. Under $25 bucks each.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14287-320_HUTPY5-3-Parts-73-Tires/Accessories/Hutchinson-Python-New-Generation-Air-Light-Tire-offer?utm_source=Googlebase&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=FTP&offer=IN080GLB.htm&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=30&zmap=320%20HUTPY5

·
Cyclist of Borg
234 Posts
i used to ride Pythons. i got a large twig puncture and could not get one fast at the LBS. i went with a Maxxis Crossmark. i had 2.3 pythons and wend down to a 2.1 crossmark. they hook up way better and also roll faster on pavement. i have since replaced both tires nad i love them

here is a pair an ebay fro $70 and change shipped http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-Maxxis-Crossmark-EXC-2-10-Mountain-bike-tires-2008_W0QQitemZ200291524886QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item200291524886&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

·
Cyclist of Borg
234 Posts
_Lac_Man_ said:
Maybe I could do the 2.3 Python's up front and try their 2.0s in the rear.

Locutus, do you have the 2.1 Crossmarks for both front and rear?

Thanks guys!
i have 2.1 fron and rear. they make 2.25 and i will get those next

i ran the 2.3 python in the front and the 2.1 crossmark in the rear for a week or so. it felt very squirelly. i put crossmark on and it went away

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Locutus said:
i used to ride Pythons. i got a large twig puncture and could not get one fast at the LBS. i went with a Maxxis Crossmark. i had 2.3 pythons and wend down to a 2.1 crossmark. they hook up way better and also roll faster on pavement. i have since replaced both tires nad i love them
I did just the opposite. I started on Pythons the went to Crossmarks at the suggestion of another post. Way too weak sidewalls where I ride. I'm back on the Pythons.

·
the air is thin up here..
738 Posts
I've got 2.1 UST Crossmarks front and rear. I love em. They roll fast. Not too loud either.

At first I didn't like them much... on loose terrain I didn't feel confident. I aired them down a bit (not sure of PSI) and what a difference! I've never felt more confident on a tire.

I took my stock Bontrager Jones XR's off before I left the store and put the Crossmarks on. My dad has the same bike as me and left his Jones on for a week or two... what a terrible tire! He swapped Tioga Factory XC's on from his hardtail... a lot better than the Jones. We swapped front wheels for a ride... it was instantly apparent to both of us how much better/faster the Crossmark rolled. Couldn't compare grip as it was a humid day with very tacky/grippy dirt.

I'm no expert and I don't have a ton of tire experience behind me, but I'll be replacing my crossmarks with crossmarks :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.