Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19" Dambala that I recently converted to 1X9. Although I am very pleased with the build, I incorrectly thought it would be lighter (26 lbs.10 oz.). I have already sunk a HUGE amount of $ into it and unless someone can advise on something simple (other than going back to SS) to lighten it up, I guess a Scandium frame is in the future (JK, well sort of...maybe not).

Here are the specs and pics:
19" Steel Dambala
Stylo cranks 32T w/bashguard
Truvativ BB (came w/cranks)
Mavic C29 w/Rampages (2 scoops of Stan's each)
BB7 160 mm (fr/rr)/FR5 levers
Jagwire ripcord cables
X9 med. rr der./shifter
Monkeylite XC bar
Thomson stem 100/10
CK headset
Thomson elite seatpost 27.2/410
Koobi saddle (250 grams I think)
Oury lock ons
WB fluid 110
Salsa skewers/seatpost clamp
Time ATAC Roc carbon pedals
Garmin 205 mount
Sram 951 chain
XT cassette

·
Registered
469 Posts
First, that's a great looking bike that you have there.

If it were me, I'd probably change the tires. The Rampages get great reviews and are still the go-to tire for many, but they're not light. Switching to something like the Racing Ralph (2.4 in front, 2.2 in back) or the Continental Trail King (again, but the fatter tire on the front) will shave some significant weight to your rolling resistance.

If you're sold on the Rampage, I would at least change the rear tire to something narrower, faster, and lighter: you can get away with a little less meat in the back, and shave off some significant grams there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
564 Posts
great looking bike.

The things I see being heavy on the bike are the wheels, tires, and cranks. You could easily save a half pound or more by switching wheels (ie stans 355 or arch mounted to ?), another half pound in tires. Crank weight will be costly but if you really wanted to lighten things up you could.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
That's a good, solid build - pretty decent parts spec IMO. It's not light but not really heavy either.

If it works good for you - then 'run what you brung'. The only nitnoid things I'd change to drop a few grams would be the Fliplock for a Liplock, trim the steerer tube and run some ESI Chunky grips - that'll probably save you around 100-150 grams (mostly in the grips).

I second the notion on a lighter rear tire - the Rampy will do pretty well up front.

Oh, and HUGE money is relative :) - the frame price on the Dambala compared to a Jones - no contest!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Very nice bike. I think the comments about tire choice are spot on if you're looking to save weight also, if your butt isn't married to that saddle you might want to look into a lighter model. A WTB Devo weighs more than 100 grams less but that's between you and your a$$.

·
surfer w/out waves
613 Posts
I like the build... are you really gonna notice 1/2 pound??? BB7's are great brakes... but definitely not the lightest. SRAM 951 chain is not the lightest around either... Sette Nyx (yeah it's Sette but mine is super comfy for a light saddle) saddle can shave some weight a bit.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually have a Devo from another ride, and my 200+ lbs. riding weight said "Hell No" to that thing. I wondered about the grips. I love them, but I guess they are heavy. I got what I believe was a great deal on the wheels, otherwise I was going Hope Pro2's w/Arches. The crank upgrade I looked into was going to be cost prohibitive. I think changing the rear to something lighter and the grips is probably all I can afford at this point. Do you have suggestions for a tire change for very technical (rocky, rooty, short quick climbs/descents). Thanks again for the kudos and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Forget About it!

That is the nicest Voodoo D that I have seen.

Forget about the weight, and ride it!

One sweet looking bike there!:thumbsup:

·
Weight Maniac
672 Posts
CB2 said:
26 1/2 pounds for a steel frame with rampages and a 110 mm fork is pretty good if you asked me.
But if I were to build it, wheels, tires, cranks/bb, and pedals is where I'd look to cut weight.
Exactly what CB2 said. You don't have any one area with a lot of extra weight besides the frame itself. Even the wheels aren't horribly over weight. In order to lighten it substantially 1-2 more pounds. You'd have to switch out nearly every component. Since you're already put your time and money into it, ride it and enjoy the unique feel that your nice set-up provides. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.