Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal i ride a SS vassago. with a velocity P-35 on the front and a blunt on the rear. the blunt holds air tubeless like no bodies business. I used a Bontrager rhythm strip. the P-35 i used stans yellow tape but it hasn't seemed to hold very well. every ride i am adding air to the front. an dim not talking a little bit to get it up to snuff. there is so much air lose it is flat. over the course of a day or so. last night we rode for about 2.5-3 hours and while we where waiting for the group to catch up at the end of a trail i noticed i had lost a significant amount of air in the front.
did i go the wrong way using the stans tape? is the velotape from velocity that much better for P-35?
and the guy i rode with owns a shop and suggested the Velo plugs velocity is offering. i am leaking out of my spoke holes. not all of them just a couple. what would you suggest i do?
also am just running straight stans sealant.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
If it's leaking out of a few eyelets, then your tape job isn't working. For me, I like the tape to be the full width of the rim so that the tire bead contacts it. Frankly I'd just use Gorilla Tape (handy roll is 25mm wide and $2.99). Clean the rim good, lay down the tape (I find it sticks best when warm, I've even gone so far as to warm my rim with a heat gun in the winter) and try mounting again.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys! ive been tossing the gorilla tape idea around quite a bit so i think ill do that.
I was pretty sure the velo plug where not gonna be a solve to my problem but i gave the shop guy credit for knowing his ****. so for the P35 ill probaly need the two inch wide tape right? or will the 25mm stuff work? right now i am not leaking our of the bead it is only on the spoke holes you can see where the goo has come out.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
thanks guys! ive been tossing the gorilla tape idea around quite a bit so i think ill do that.
I was pretty sure the velo plug where not gonna be a solve to my problem but i gave the shop guy credit for knowing his ****. so for the P35 ill probaly need the two inch wide tape right? or will the 25mm stuff work? right now i am not leaking our of the bead it is only on the spoke holes you can see where the goo has come out.
The Velocity P-35 tape is 24mm wide, so the 1" wide Gorilla Tape should work fine. Just make sure it is really stuck down good before mounting the tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.