Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just cracked my Nomad's frame, bummer. Crack goes through the lower pivot weld on the swingarm, possibly have another on the shock mount but I think that one is just a scratch. Warranty only had about a week left, that was close.

Now I just have to get ahold of the warranty department at SC, anyone done direct to SC warranty before? I already emailed with pics. When I used to be at a shop I remember them being real fast, hopefully it's the same when dealing direct. Anyone know if they have swingarms for the previous gen. of Nomad? Sucks if I end up with some crazy colored one.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I emailed yesterday so I hate to start bugging them so soon, I'll give it a day or two before I get worried about it. Headed through Santa Cruz tomorrow though so hopefully they call me in time so I can just drop it off on my way.

Here's the pics. First one is definitely a crack, not sure about the second as it doesn't start from an edge as cracks normally (but not always) do. It's not rounded like a scratch though, definitely has some jaggies to it. haha, yeah, I just got off the bike from a pretty dusty ride, I know it's dirty! I think I know exactly when this happened as I had a pretty rough landing during the ride and my bike was creaking from that point on. But... Nomad's rock! If they warranty it I'm putting on a new rear shock and fork and rocking it for another couple years.

·
noMAD man
12,210 Posts
Pictures over the internet aren't always the best, but that first one is an odd one from the pic. Obviously you can see it in the flesh, but I'm not so sure from that pic. That almost looks like a deep scratch. Cracks don't usually have that look of some gouged out aluminum. The line is also going in a strange direction through the weld. Is that on the driveside? Another thing at that point is that it's not really in the stress pattern or direction of the forces at that point...is it? Hey...it's one pic...I'm not inspecting it in person...so I won't swear to anything.

Yeah, that second pic is definitely not a crack.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
TNC said:
Pictures over the internet aren't always the best, but that first one is an odd one from the pic. Obviously you can see it in the flesh, but I'm not so sure from that pic. That almost looks like a deep scratch. Cracks don't usually have that look of some gouged out aluminum. The line is also going in a strange direction through the weld. Is that on the driveside? Another thing at that point is that it's not really in the stress pattern or direction of the forces at that point...is it? Hey...it's one pic...I'm not inspecting it in person...so I won't swear to anything.

Yeah, that second pic is definitely not a crack.
It's a lousy pic, I rubbed it, took the pick then realized I rubbed dirt into the crack. When welds break it's totally different from tubing as a bad weld can break in any direction, not necessarily with the joint (at least that's what my welder friend says). That said, until I pull the bearing I won't know for sure.
At the bearing you can see that the crack is opening in a second direction so it must have started at the bearing (assuming it's really cracked of course). I had a real hard g-out at the bottom of a shoot I took too fast and it immediately started creaking.
Funny on the second, I thought it was a scratch for sure but then looked at the high res of this pic and can see jaggies like it's a crack so now I don't know. SC will know for sure.

BTW, just read that other thread and the guy used magnaflux to test if it's cracked, I'm assuming that's something I can get at home depot? I'd rather test it now than strip it and find out it's just gouged.
edit: just read wikipedia on magnaflux, looks like I'll be disassembling to see what's what!

·
Bum Buzzer
1,991 Posts
Looks like agauge too me. too 'open' strange line, consisten groove, odd location.

I hope Im right! bBut def doubel check. I spotted a crack in the weld of a Bullit I had and sent it in -- Xray'ed (apparently) and was going to fail, so free replacement was shipped!

YAY!

Cuida Te!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Scratch X2

My money is on both of them being scratches. Cracks just don't go through welds like that and also don't gouge the powdercoat like that.

·
Is it winter yet?
255 Posts
They're scratches. Cracks aren't the same width from start to finish like that, and they don't "jump" weld puddles like that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts