Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, thought you might enjoy seeing some fresh pics of my "new" Ritchey SuperComp. It's an '88 model year and size 17". Totally original (except for the grips) and unridden. Here's just a few pics from the photo session:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Nice!!!!!! :thumbsup: Didnt you get that off Ebay? It actually went cheap I though for NOS. Are you going to get it dirty? :eek:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found on eBay and a poorly constructed auction. I intended to ride it (that's why I bid on it in the first place), but when I saw it was actually NOS as in "Never Off Stand", well, would you paint a moustache on the Mona Lisa (or some kind of analogy like that). All I could bring myself to do was strip it apart, fondle all the pieces, apply a bit of Simichrome/Mequiars/TriFlo and piece it back together.

Here's a few more pics:

·
artistic...
7,597 Posts
phhhew! .... the fact this bike is absolutely immaculate and pristine creates a terrible conundrum: either you don't ride it and betray it's nature or you ride it and destroy it's immaculate condition.
what will you do??

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Ya, thats the problem of having a bike like that. You'll just have to get another Ritchey to ride ;)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Thats amazing that there are actually bikes like that still floating around.

Nice Find.
I Dont know what I would do with that bike
tough decision.......

--
CR

G

·
filegiant said:
would you paint a moustache on the Mona Lisa (or some kind of analogy like that).
wow. i love NOS. please, don't ride it! would you lick a blue mauritius and stick it on a letter?

Carsten

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I'd think "what would Tom Ritchey do?" and then take it to my favorite trail and have a freakin' awesome ride. Probably wouldn't wear a helmet either. But that's me. Whatever you do with it, it's your decision. It is really beautiful, though.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
ssmike said:
I'd think "what would Tom Ritchey do?" and then take it to my favorite trail and have a freakin' awesome ride. Probably wouldn't wear a helmet either. But that's me. Whatever you do with it, it's your decision. It is really beautiful, though.
Ya, but if you were Tom Ritchey you could just build another if you scratched it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
462 Posts
That is in such breathtakingly perfect shape that i think it would be a crime to ride it.. How many like it do you think there are in the world? There are hundreds in 'good, but used' condition. Maybe one or two in that condition.

You'll just have to buy another one :)

·
He be a moose too.
2,161 Posts
Just curious, what's the url of the poorly constructed auction. In my quick persual, I didn't find it.

'Guin

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
robinmiller said:
That is in such breathtakingly perfect shape that i think it would be a crime to ride it.. How many like it do you think there are in the world? There are hundreds in 'good, but used' condition. Maybe one or two in that condition.

You'll just have to buy another one :)
Actually TR only made less than 60 fillet brazed bike a year in the late 80's :eekster:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pinguwin said:
Just curious, what's the url of the poorly constructed auction. In my quick persual, I didn't find it.

'Guin
It's out of the eBay database due to the length of time.

BWT, did you know that to peruse means to "examine or consider with attention and in detail". Most of us have always used it to mean the opposite.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IF52 said:
Tough call for sure, but I'd ride it. What's the point of owning it if you don't. It's not art, it's a bicycle.
I'd disagree with the last statement...it's more than a bicycle as are lots of the high-end bikes out there. I know, as I have considered several times in past years, if I ever was to have Tom Ritchey build me one of his latest, I'd have to have it fillet-brazed (and I'm a self-proclaimed weight-weenie). Not because there is anything inherently wrong with TIG welding, but because Tom's brass fillets are so beautiful. It goes beyond just being a tool at some point in my opinion.

In any case, the original tires are slightly dried out on the sidewalls (which only show when they are fully-pressurized) so they're for display only and would have to be changed prior to a ride. Along with the grips I did have to replace the three XT rubber rings on each quick-release nut for the same reason. Got replacements down at ACE Hardware in the O-ring section.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts