61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,730 Posts
Thanks!

~martini~ said:
ELF= Extra Long Front.

Shayne, love the brown anno.
Yeah, that's what I remember ELF being, at least in the American context. They were some of the later frames sold correct? Like 1995ish just before they closed up shop?

Did you see the frame at the Crono swap when Nate was there? I had it inside early but put it in my car as I was sick of it on my shoulder.

And even more off topic: how did you fair with all the flooding last month?

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Shayne said:
Yeah, that's what I remember ELF being, at least in the American context. They were some of the later frames sold correct? Like 1995ish just before they closed up shop?

Did you see the frame at the Crono swap when Nate was there? I had it inside early but put it in my car as I was sick of it on my shoulder.

And even more off topic: how did you fair with all the flooding last month?
Yep, they were 'newer' models, as far as I recall.

No, I never did get to see it that day. Didn't even know you had it!

Rains? I was fine here, but trails were pretty much obliterated. Kinda sucks, but theres still enough to keep it interesting.

·
Registered
350 Posts
the ELF with the double stays was the " Elf Double Cross".
When i was racing BMW in or around 1990 i remember they were just coming out with that bike... i also remeber the kid in my class that was stomping all of us that was riding a Badd & Co. Ti BMX. WAYYY back then.... and so this isn't too much of a threadjack, That american M16 is sweet. I weld Aluminum for a living and I like to think I can weld just as good as that.. definately GTAW weld, probably 1/8" tungsten, probably around 120 amps with probably a 3/16" rod. not sure what gas they would use, but i use 75/25 % mix of argon and helium.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
So how long until the Berilium American that was stolen at Interbike shows up on here. That would be a cool bike but not one that you could ever show off. Come on, anyone out there have it??? Grow some balls and show it off.:D :thumbsup:

·
He be a moose too.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
AKamp said:
Grow some balls and show it off.
It would only take some stones in terms of dealing with the social blowback of being a bike thief among a group of cyclists, but the statute of limitations ran out years ago. My two theories on it.

It's doing messenger duty in a big city covered up with rattle-can paint and electrical tape.

It's in the Columbian jungle on the walls of a rich drug kingpin next to his collection stolen Renoirs. Both of which would be hard to sell on the open market but he's the sort of guy who doesn't have to worry about such things.

It's kind of a silly bike to steal in that it is noticeable and hard to resell. I guess we can only hope the thief tried to do some custom machining on it and died from inhaling beryllium dust ;)

Pinguwin

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,730 Posts
It Would Be Easy To Resell....

Think about it...the thief stole it for nothing so whatever it sells for would be profit.

The number of people familiar with it and that could tell it from any other random bike is next to zero.

Not to re-open any wounds but FSP's Mantis stolen from interbike wouldn't be too hard to resell either...especially parted out. Sure you wont get top dollar but you can make a quick buck.

·
He be a moose too.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Shayne, that's true. I guess what I meant is that it couldn't be sold openly as a beryllium bike. Steal a Comp-Lite and it could be sold openly as such. In Holland, a shop owner tells me that your nice, noticeable bike is less likely to be stolen as the junkies there just want to move it quickly for a $10 fix.

The other thing is that thieves see something shiny and grab it without thinking. Many years ago a group of thieves stole a shipment of the French equivalent of nickels. They weren't quite sure how to move them and eventually got caught as they were passing so many 'nickels' I read they played a lot of pinball with them.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,341 Posts
It's funny, thanks to Pinguin, I got back into this thread, and had a few thoughts that seemed better in the stream here, than on my M16 thread.

Early on, I mentioned a short buddy who got what I thought was an American. I must have stopped paying attention after a while, but it came up, he had an Elf. But it was an MTB, and it seems most were BMX. Am I missing something, or is time and age making a mush of things?

It was very short, like a 13" but yeah, long TT, he was no legs and all upper body.....

Thanks 'guin for bringing this back to the fore, now, you get this one done yet???? :p

61 - 71 of 71 Posts