Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
On-One said:
I would say SMAW with 1/8 or greater stick...not TIG..

If you look at the welds closely especially in areas that couldn't be polished out. They do exhibit the typical etch zone associated with GTAW.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
On-One said:
There is appropriate bead overlap and there is pretty bead overlap.

completely agree....

I probably wouldn't certify those for aerospace flight but they will hold OK for a bike and they sure look pretty!!

look at the bright side, the welds could look like Klein's :D

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
crconsulting said:
If you look at the welds closely especially in areas that couldn't be polished out. They do exhibit the typical etch zone associated with GTAW.
Im not a white glove guy...are you referring to artifacts left from the sweeping motion used in GTAW?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
On-One said:
Im not a white glove guy...are you referring to artifacts left from the sweeping motion used in GTAW?
let me see if I can find a picture....

I don't believe I'll be able to get my camera's macro to get a good enough picture.

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
Cool...you see I learned something today...so today must be a good day...I didn't learn shiat yesterday...

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Anyone ever run across a Ball Burnished American ELF for sale, please let me know. My brother lost his to some dirtbag car theives in SF many years ago. He still talks about it.. Had Syncros Tubular Cranks, Wheelsmith Wheels (Nuke Hubs), was a 20" I believe.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
snowdrifter said:
Anyone ever run across a Ball Burnished American ELF for sale, please let me know. My brother lost his to some dirtbag car theives in SF many years ago. He still talks about it.. Had Syncros Tubular Cranks, Wheelsmith Wheels (Nuke Hubs), was a 20" I believe.
Sweet bike man! I remember those suckers, must have been, say 1992 or so?

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
All I can remember is that they were BMX bikes that have veeerrryyyy peculiar double chainstays...pretty neat looking.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
pinguwin said:
What's an ELF? Also, what would a ball-burnished finish look like?

Pinguwin
BMX

E.xtra L.ight F.rames

yeah one model had twin chain stays , another with box section

bonus points: who remembers ELS(and what it stood for)?

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
hollister said:
bonus points: who remembers ELS (and what it stood for)?
Electric Light Orchestra ....

no, no wait. that's not right. :(

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
CRAP!!! I knew it was something like that. A buddy of mine had that oval shaped sticker on his bike. Was it a real company or a stupid sticker slogan?

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
recovering weight weenie

On-One said:
CRAP!!! I knew it was something like that. A buddy of mine had that oval shaped sticker on his bike. Was it a real company or a stupid sticker slogan?
sticker slogan as far as i know, i had the sticker on my down tube:p

41 - 60 of 71 Posts