Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a New Old Stock 2017 Fuel EX 8 29er. Basically saving about 30% off a newer bike.

So, what's everyone opinion on buying a new old stock bike?

It is my understanding that the frame is still the same in the 2018 and 2019 models but, the wheels and components have changed in the past two years.

I have never bought a full suspension MTB, so my experience is just with my old hardtail(about 12 years old). Finally looking to upgrade after riding my Domane the past year. I don't believe I need the suspension of the Remedy or Slash, therefore leaning towards the Fuel EX 8. Also the terrain that I intend to ride on here in PA is not that aggressive.

I plan to buy at a local shop, not looking for a used bike or interested in buying online.

Is it cost effective to upgrade parts (wheels* & switch to 1x)? or should I just spend the money upfront on a newer model Fuel EX?

I also plan to attend a Demo Event in the next week, so that might change my decision, but I would like to hear what everyone has to say.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats the "newer' bike ?

The FEX is a great bike, I've ridden them in various versions for the last 5 years (since MY14).
"newer" would be referring a 2019 model compared to a 2017 model. The difference is a SRAM 1x drivetrain, Bontrager Line Comp 30 Wheels but both have the Fox Rythm 34 Float Shock.

Your experience with various versions of the FEX is encouraging! no matter what model year. Thanks

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
the frame is the same---note a new FEX may land in July. Note 30% sounds good but I bet you could get 20% off a 2019 in a few weeks--something to think on---but 2016--2019 FEX's are very good bikes---
I also bet you can do better than 30% as the LBS is really stuck with that bike

·
GONE
27,016 Posts
You can get a newer/used 2018 or perhaps a 2019 for a considerable savings if you shop carefully. I would include this option in your quest.

But if warranty coverage is most important to you, then buy a new bike.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought my 2017 FEX8 as a 27.5, so it came 1x and with 140mm in the front....things I'm thankful for. Now, I run 29 wheels and have the best of both worlds. Still, I'd go for the 2017 EX8 29er, convert to tubeless and ride the hell out of it. You won't be disappointed; it does everything really well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.