Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going up to northstar this weekend, and I'm wondering whether to rent the reign x2 or the glory 1. I looked at the components, and they are essentially the same, except the fork, front derailleur, and brakes. I'm not necessarily looking for the most amount of travel, especially since I don't want to be riding around on a tank (I'm pretty sure the glory 1 is around 44-45 pounds and the reign x2 is around 30 pounds). I'm leaning towards the reign, since I'm not skilled enough that I can ride livewire and hit every jump. Besides, this is my first time going, and I want to scout it out and maybe set some goals for the next time I go.
All opinions are good opinions :D

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
max.veregge11 said:
Going up to northstar this weekend, and I'm wondering whether to rent the reign x2 or the glory 1. I looked at the components, and they are essentially the same, except the fork, front derailleur, and brakes. I'm not necessarily looking for the most amount of travel, especially since I don't want to be riding around on a tank (I'm pretty sure the glory 1 is around 44-45 pounds and the reign x2 is around 30 pounds). I'm leaning towards the reign, since I'm not skilled enough that I can ride livewire and hit every jump. Besides, this is my first time going, and I want to scout it out and maybe set some goals for the next time I go.
All opinions are good opinions :D
Personally I couldn't rent n' ride N* on a new to me bike. Anyways, throw a leg over each bike if one feels better under you go with it.

·
weekend worrier
562 Posts
I'd rent the Glory and have fun. You'll appreciate the slacker angles and more travel in case you muster up the courage to try the double blacks. That way you won't be able to use your bike as an excuse. ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
No way a reign x2 is 30 pounds bud. My x1 has lighter components than the x2 and it weighs in at 37.4 pounds. I use my x1 at the star but I would go with either because with the reign youll scream down livewire but not so much on the other blacks. The glory is the better resort rig.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
767 Posts
If your new to gravity riding the get the larger travel bike.
the extra travel in the fork is worth it
if your going slow over large rocks it can mean the difference between
going over the bars or rolling it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
you could also save your self some money and just take your current bike and ductape your hands to the handlebar and feet to the pedal and scream the whole way down :)

jk about that, i would say get the glory, you dont want to burn yourself out way to early cause your bike lacked suspension

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Go Glory for the truer DH experience. Although I do think the Reign X is a very Northstar capable bike; just maybe not on the double blacks (steeper slopes and bigger rocks/drops require more suspension and slacker angles).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Along a similar line, my gf and I are heading up to Northstar this wknd. She's trying to call the shop there to see what model bikes and sizes they have - but they don't pick up their phones and don't return the emails.

Anyone know if they rent out x-small bikes, and which models they might have? She rides a 13.5 inch Gary Fisher Paragon now.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I rode there last weekend and rented a glory. The big bike took a few runs to get used to, but it was fun. There were definitely a few drops on karpeil and dog bone (?) where the extra travel and slack angles were nice to have, and you can air out on livewire without much trouble on the big bike. Since you're paying $40 for a lift ticket, get your money's worth and rent the biggest bike you can. It's not like you have to pedal much.

That said, be ready to make your own adjustments, and don't expect the bike to be in excellent condition (round/true wheels, etc.). The kids working there were very nice but less than helpful/capable/knowledgeable. It took one of them about 15 min to change a tube on my bike, and I got a blank stare when I asked about adjusting the reach on the brake levers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dementedfatty said:
No way a reign x2 is 30 pounds bud. My x1 has lighter components than the x2 and it weighs in at 37.4 pounds. I use my x1 at the star but I would go with either because with the reign youll scream down livewire but not so much on the other blacks. The glory is the better resort rig.:thumbsup:
I had some trouble finding weight on the internet, and somehow came out of the ordeal with 30 pounds, but thanks for the accurate measurement. Thanks for all the advice, too, guys. I think I'll go for the Glory. Besides, they're both the same price.

Hope to see you up there Solara :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks

Thanks guys.

I had a great time up there, and obviously got the Glory. Going to have to update my favorite trail to Livewire. :D

Had alotta fun on all those trails up Vista way, too, but it was a little dusty for my tastes.
Only had one bad fall on Gypsy (face meet wall :D), but had a few scary moments on Livewire (step up with the massive downhill landing about 5 or 6 table-tops in... oh my god).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.