Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
New Guy
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I will be heading up to Northstar later this month to visit a friend in Tahoe.

A lil' background ... all I got is my new nomad and I have no problem handling trails like Crack, Mile, Boyscout at Pacifica also Brail, sawpit, corral in Santa Cruz/Aptos. Biggest step down I've done is about 12-15 feet out and the biggest drop I have done is about 7-10 feet down.

My question is what trails should I definitely do and what trails should I avoid? Seeing how it's a nomad in V10 land. any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
If you can handle Crack, you can handle anything.

Go rip up the trails at Northstar, and enjoy yourself. The Nomad is an extremely capable bike, and you'll have tons of fun.

I'll be out there this weekend. When will you be there?

·
New Guy
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright! ... What a relief!

So far all I know is that it's the end of this month to a few days into the next. If you're thinking of being there I can PM you?! I could benefit from a local to ride with who knows the trails up there :)

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
White oaks

·
New Guy
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
changuito said:
I'm up there a couple of days a week, just holla on the board when you're going to be dropping by and I'm sure there'll be someone to hook up with.
Right on! Will do :thumbsup:

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
I agree with everyone else.
Nomad will handle N* fine. Just take it easy and dont push yourself past your limits.
Thats when the nomad will break.

What wheelset do you have on there?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Northstar + Nomad = Tons of fun. I think people over exadurate how much travel you need at northstar. If you wanna run 50% sag, then you probably want 180mm or something of travel. If you want to run 25% sag or something like that, 160mm will work fine and maybe even 140mmm although 140 might be pushing your luck....

·
New Guy
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for chiming in man! Any certain trails/runs you recommend I start off on first?

The wheelset is an Enduro category DT-Swiss EX 5.1D on DT-Swiss Hubs.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
jpine93 said:
Northstar + Nomad = Tons of fun. I think people over exadurate how much travel you need at northstar. If you wanna run 50% sag, then you probably want 180mm or something of travel. If you want to run 25% sag or something like that, 160mm will work fine and maybe even 140mmm although 140 might be pushing your luck....
ride with a good long travel DH bike with good angles and a whole new world will open up, trust me :D

that said, if you're just "riding" the trails then you don't really need a whole lot. Got friends who regularly do all the trails on a hardtail - the extra travel makes it more fun and more fasterer

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
Jakub,

That wheelset will hold up just fine on a Nomad. Like MotorMonkey said, just don't push yourself. You'll have a blast on Livewire with that bike because the bike is so pedal-able.

Just don't be afraid to put the seat down. :D

·
New Guy
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
givemefive said:
I'm stoked man! :p I definitely want to try livewire after seeing some video compilations ... especially this one ->

oh and I never get scared ... just nervous ;)
... crap I just realized I posted under a co-workers account :madman:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just so you know, Northstar is now offering lessons and guided bike tours. Also, we are open til 7pm on Friday nights all Summer for your all day riding pleasure. Pass it on!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.