Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Depends. Today they closed early for lightning. Lifts open at 9:30 for lower and 10 for upper on most days. Unless you are an extremely strong rider, you will tire out before 5 if doing back to back laps. Don’t forget a full face and pads.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Thanks for quick reply! I know there is other treads on it, but any tips? I've been riding for just three months, but have advanced pretty well. I know ride higher PSI, I have full face, wondering about things like extra suspension pressure, must hit trails, etc.
Things to bring:
  1. Spare tire
  2. spare sealant
  3. shock pump
  4. tire pump
  5. tools
If you are running single wall tires, don't be surprised if you puncture it. Run 3-5 psi more than your normal pressures. Start with your suspension where it is, add pressure if you are bottoming.

Without knowing your skill level, but seeing you have been riding for three months, I would start easy and work you way up in this order:
  • Easy rider from mid mountain to the bottom.
  • Mineshaft from mid mountain to the bottom (you can run three options where mineshaft splits, all are about the same). (this is more techy)
  • Playground to Woods (Playground flowy and jumpy, woods more techy)
  • Coaster
  • Livewire (jumpy and braking bumps from hell)
  • Playground to speed control to pho dog.
That should get you through your first day. Remember, when in doubt in steep techy stuff, get off the brakes and roll through it, brake as it flattens back out.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Wow -- Didn't know they reopened. Got to go get while I can!
Hoping it holds out until Sunday. I swapped to a newer DH bike and haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Freezer
671 Posts
Riding N* for the first time tomorrow, lifts run from 7-5 I believe. How many hours/lifts up do you guys usually do in a day?
Lifts run from 10-5. How many laps you can do is highly dependent upon which runs you're talking about. The blues and Livewire are significantly less tiring that the gnar trails like Boondocks and Gypsy and most of the stuff off of Vista. On those trails you'll max out your hands and forearms before your legs, so pacing yourself and choosing the appropriate trails for your skill and fitness level is key. Think abuout quality of riding rather than quantity; you'll have more fun and be much safer. :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
I was brushing my teeth last night and wondering why my bathroom fan was making so much noise. Turned it off. Still a bunch of noise coming from...my roof. My metal roof. Wait. Rain? Could it be? YES! RAIN!

It rained off and on throughout the night, and still raining off and on now. The top two inches of dirt/dust in my backyard is wet, but it's dry below that. But it's something, and that's way better than nothing. Looks like the rain might continue for another couple hours.

If your plans include a mountain bike today then you're doing something right.

·
I just wanna go fast!
1,952 Posts
If you've only been riding for 3mo, take your time and enjoy yourself. You probably won't physically last more than 8-10 laps before your hands are locked up and your entire body hurts. It's a different animal.
What they said. The amount of riding you'll get in will entirely depend on how long your hands can hold out.

Back when I went every other week, I could get 10 - 15 by the end of the season. At the beginning? less than 10 for sure.

Then I thought I was a badass until I went to whistler in the fall that year and tried to ride there all day for a week straight. Was taking advil for my hands at breakfast by day 3.

·
Registered
987 Posts
What they said. The amount of riding you'll get in will entirely depend on how long your hands can hold out.

Back when I went every other week, I could get 10 - 15 by the end of the season. At the beginning? less than 10 for sure.

Then I thought I was a badass until I went to whistler in the fall that year and tried to ride there all day for a week straight. Was taking advil for my hands at breakfast by day 3.
Garbanzo runs will have your hands absolutely fucked in no time

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Late season is more likely to have wet dirt. And if you are riding northstar with wet dirt it doesn't matter how big the holes are, it is 5x more enjoyable.
It's been years, but it used to be pretty regular to have snow at the beginning and end of the season.

Reactions: Doesn't Matter
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.