Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really liked this trail.

It has a bit of everything. I recorded my very first run on it just before I hit boondocks. I'm pretty sure your quality 120Plus Trailbike would be just fine on this, given you have good brakes and suspension components. I'm sure even hardatails could be fun here.

We opted for the difficult line after the road juncture where you can choose easy/hard. I just about ran out of speed on the red bull tornado like wood feature where falling off is not advised. Running blind is fun but next time I'll know where to keep up the speed.

Anyway enjoy! Let me know of any recent trail reports as I'll be headed up in two weeks again.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That's awesome! I want to hit Northstar this summer/fall. I've skied there, but never mtn biked.

What do you recommend for knee/elbow pads? I assume my trail knee/elbow pads won't cut it.

Also do you recommend a back protector (or whatever that body armor suit thingie is called).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
That's awesome! I want to hit Northstar this summer/fall. I've skied there, but never mtn biked.

What do you recommend for knee/elbow pads? I assume my trail knee/elbow pads won't cut it.

Also do you recommend a back protector (or whatever that body armor suit thingie is called).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
You can rent body armor there. I full face helmet is recommended. It saved my face.

·
Professional Troll
2,762 Posts
Ugh, f-that trail.

I just rode it for the first time in 2 years yesterday and was reminded how obnoxious it is. Top is okay, a little worse since they got rid of the wooden step on, step off. But after the wooden berm section once it starts traversing that trail gets horrible. The entire lower section needs to be redone (again). It was so much better before they re-did it and added all the awkward tight turns, annoying grade reversals, and gimmicky rock features. That side of the mountain needs a real DH trail.

okay rant over. Dogbone, Karpiel, Sticks, still awesome.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Ugh, f-that trail.

I just rode it for the first time in 2 years yesterday and was reminded how obnoxious it is. Top is okay, a little worse since they got rid of the wooden step on, step off. But after the wooden berm section once it starts traversing that trail gets horrible. The entire lower section needs to be redone (again). It was so much better before they re-did it and added all the awkward tight turns, annoying grade reversals, and gimmicky rock features. That side of the mountain needs a real DH trail.

I agree. Bottom sucks, top half is mediocre.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ugh, f-that trail.

I still miss the old gypsy, pre-rain destruction. Easily best run on the mountain at the time.

After so many years of work, I would have hoped that something more would have come of it.

·
Professional Troll
2,762 Posts
I still miss the old gypsy, pre-rain destruction. Easily best run on the mountain at the time.

After so many years of work, I would have hoped that something more would have come of it.
Me too. I loved that last step down under the lift especially *le sigh*. I remember my first weekend up at Northstar I did like 8 laps in a row on it.

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still want to rent a 200MM downhill rig for the next experience to see what the difference will be. I'm sure cornering and handling will be a an adjustment, but I'm told the severe speed and brake bumps will be tampered. I'm interested what it may produce. I've never ridden a DH rig before. I'm sure there will be less "fighting" the bike.

Anyone ever swapped their trail rig for a DH rental before? Any noticeable results to report?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I still want to rent a 200MM downhill rig for the next experience to see what the difference will be. I'm sure cornering and handling will be a an adjustment, but I'm told the severe speed and brake bumps will be tampered. I'm interested what it may produce. I've never ridden a DH rig before. I'm sure there will be less "fighting" the bike.

Anyone ever swapped their trail rig for a DH rental before? Any noticeable results to report?
No comparison, you'll float down the trail.

Slacker head angles and long travel make flatter section (i.e. first third or so of gypsy) feel sluggish if you're not keeping the speed up. Still nice for the big hits/confidence trying new stuff.

·
Trail finder
19 Posts
I had a gnarly crash on karpiel, ended up going OTB at the start of a rock garden and rolled down the entire garden, ended up dislocating my toe and fracturing my foot.

My ixs flow knee pads saved my knees, there definitely not DH knee pads, as long as your pads have some protection and your not going race speed you should be alright. Wear a full face. They rent them if you don't own one. It's so easy to crash up there.

I wear a CamelBak KUDU pack with a built in spine protector. I really believe it saved my back from serious injury, and it's a great pack too! If your in the market for a new pack I highly recommend it, or else you can rent armour up there.

Gypsy is a blast! The rock work is super cool!

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a gnarly crash on karpiel, ended up going OTB at the start of a rock garden and rolled down the entire garden, ended up dislocating my toe and fracturing my foot.

My ixs flow knee pads saved my knees, there definitely not DH knee pads, as long as your pads have some protection and your not going race speed you should be alright. Wear a full face. They rent them if you don't own one. It's so easy to crash up there.

I wear a CamelBak KUDU pack with a built in spine protector. I really believe it saved my back from serious injury, and it's a great pack too! If your in the market for a new pack I highly recommend it, or else you can rent armour up there.

Gypsy is a blast! The rock work is super cool!
Great Battle Story! That's a trail to wreck on! Get well!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.